Module_Defined data types..

alz

Hi,

I'm having problems in exporting/importing Module-Defined data types created in another rslogix5k project. Unlike the UDT there's no option to copy the specific module-defined data type i.e. the cut,copy & paste are greyed out when you right click on them. I would wish to know if this not the correct way or how do you export these module-defined data types so that I can import them also in a new project?

Thanks in advance.

Alz

I've looked in one off my programs, and with a right click I can copy, cut & paste.
Are you working online? I've tried this off-line, as far as I know you can't do anything in an UDT online.

Jack

Thanks nightline, but i am talking about "Module_Defined" data type (MDT) not UDT. Say, we have a RSLogix5K project file which I have exported to *.L5K so I supposed i have done a complete export of that entire project which includes the UDT & MDT & so on but when I tried to import that *.L5K file into another project i noticed the UDT & MDT data files are incomplete an some of the routines can't be exported from that project an error will occur for example:

"Error: Line 117: Error creating 'Tag' (Module defined data type could not be found.).
RSLogix5000Content/Controller/Tags/Tag[@Name="DriveSMCO"]
Import failed - 1 error(s)"

I read other threads I understood about UDT problems but not Module-Defined tags, I wonder why there's no thread about this anywhere in the web maybe I have done something wrong.Forgive my innocence still a novice in this system.

I hope someone can help me on this problem. ....🤞🏻

Alz

Module defined data types cannot be copy and pasted, neither can they be imported or exported.

These data types are generated automatically by RS5000 when a module is inserted into the I/O tree.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. If this is the case then I won't be able to import the subroutines files that uses the tags in that particular module which were created in another RSlogix5K project unless I install the modules (i.e AB Powerflex drives)in the I/O tree just to generate the Module defined data and re-import the subroutines files, isn't it right? this would be difficult for me because I don't have the actual module and I need to create another project similar to the other to save it on the disk and send it to the customer. Any other advise to get arround this Mark?

alz

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. If this is the case then I won't be able to import the subroutines files that uses the tags in that particular module which were created in another RSlogix5K project unless I install the modules (i.e AB Powerflex drives)in the I/O tree just to generate the Module defined data and re-import the subroutines files, isn't it right? this would be difficult for me because I don't have the actual module and I need to create another project similar to the other to save it on the disk and send it to the customer. Any other advise to get arround this Mark?

alz

You don't need the actual module to put it into the i/o tree.

And the simplest way to put the right module in, is to copy/paste it from the other project that has it.

Hello thread from 12 years ago that I'm in now. If you are here too, what worked well for me was to go to the module definition of the source device and export it, then import it into the destination device. In my case i just wanted the additional datalinks but since I didn't want to delete the drive from my project and recreate it, I just imported the definition and selected type "connection format".