How does this 590+ drive work without a speed or torque reference?

strantor

I was at a customer's location yesterday troubleshooting a capstan block on a wire drawing line and when I sucked the program out of the Parker SSD 590+ that drives the capstan motor, I found this:

attachment.php

This drive is connected via a profibus minilink module to a Siemens PLC. As you can see (you can't see the other two pages, so I attached the program - rename from .pdf to .590), the only interaction with the minilink module is writing to an analog output of the drive (which is not physically wired to anything).

There is an analog dancer signal physically wired to analog input 1 of the drive and also to the Siemens PLC. As you can see the analog input 1 of the drive is not connected to anything in software, so I figured the Siemens system must be taking the signal and conditioning it in some way and writing the speed/torque reference to the drive, but there is no minilink connection there.

I read that the Minilink module allows master device to edit the drive parameters, so I thought maybe, at run time, the Siemens PLC reconfigures the drive and connects a speed reference to the ramp block. But no, I had them run the drive while I re-retrieved the parameters, and nothing changed.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I would like to hear an explanation for this; I really don’t get it.

Block 1 running with no spd cmd WTF.jpg

System Port P3?

Well, that's an idea. I didn't know about the system port P3; a bit of reading reveals that it could indeed be used to input a speed reference, but even that block is not connected to anything in the drive. I'm not on site to verify, but IIRC there was nothing wired to P3. I could be wrong; I wasn't looking for anything connected to P3, so I might have overlooked that.