View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #4
Peter Nachtwey
United States

Brian E and I have known each other for many years. We are next door neighbors relatively speaking. We have visited each others offices and talk on the phone from time to time. He knows I kwow about TI plcs. I know he has programmed TI plcs in the past. I also know it was a long time ago. Notice we are both from Vancouver, Wa.

Gerry, I have MUCH MUCH more to lose than Terry when Siemens stops making TI505 and the support chips. Terry is just more vocal. Are you aware that my company makes motion controllers for the TI505? We have sold many and until about 1999 or 2000 the motion controller we make for the TI505 was our best selling motion controller. Terry knows this. He knows I am sincere and not trying to rattle him.

What most of you don't know is that the TI505 is far ahead of its time. Only the Control Logix can now challenge the TI505 back plane. The TI 505 back plane has a feature called pseudo DMA. This allowed intelligent modules such as our motion controller to read and write data out of PLC memory. This technology should have been enough to kick Rockwell's butt in the '80s and '90s but Rockwell's superior marketing and software has just about eliminated TI/Siemens from the forest product industry in the NW US. In some respects I/we have been responsible for the last few nails in the coffin.