project management software

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
What do you folks use to keep a project together and organized as it moves through the various stages of development? We have several techs working on each project: sales, quoting, design, drawings, assembly etc.

How do you keep the project organized? Keep everyone in the loop? Make sure everyone knows what is the next phase and when the deadlines for that phase are?

I am picturing that there is probably a software that could serve as the hub for project development?

You probably have better ideas on how to stay organized and efficient. Thanks!

I liked Trello, but now I just use it for my personal life and keeping track of things. The downer is it doesn't have a real way to make a backup of it.

Currently we are switching over to MS TEAM and it looks really really interesting, but I don't know how well it will work with the people that refuse to do anything "techie". I don't know if this has backups but its cloud based with the whole MS office 365.

I tried JIRA but ... Trello was so much easier to use.

Asset Guardian is a controls asset management software. It grew out of a Scottish Systems Integrator, who still uses it themselves for their SI projects. Worth a look, as it has a more 'Automation Engineer' feel to it, whereas other tools are more for a 'Software Developer'.

That said, just throwing software at a problem is not in itself a fix.

That said, just throwing software at a problem is not in itself a fix.

You are exactly right. I am not sure if software is going to be the best way of doing this.

Our company is still small and growing, but currently we basically have a shared folder for each project. All the drawings, plc files, documentation gets organized in that file, and the attached notepad takes care of quick notes/updates. That works, but we end up with a lot of internal messages/scheduling etc that are done on other platforms and that don't get communicated to the others in the workgroup.

If any one has suggestions on how they keep collaborated without software, that would suit me fine as well!

We Use trello and all techs and managers have the app on their phones.
And it seems to work well for us for a few years now

I Really like Wrike, the problem is it is really expensive. Like $25 a month per user, and you have to buy users in chunks of 5. And then if you want advanced features like resource management you have to pay another $20 a month per user on top of that.

I will look in to Freedcamp. I have been looking for a cheaper Wrike Alternative

We just switched to Teams. I don't like it much.
Can't block users, you know the "Can someone come look at the copier on floor 7" user.

Haven't tried to do the drag a huge file and transfer it. Skype would let you send Gig+ size.

I liked Trello, but now I just use it for my personal life and keeping track of things. The downer is it doesn't have a real way to make a backup of it.

Currently we are switching over to MS TEAM and it looks really really interesting, but I don't know how well it will work with the people that refuse to do anything "techie". I don't know if this has backups but its cloud based with the whole MS office 365.

I tried JIRA but ... Trello was so much easier to use.

We just switched to Teams. I don't like it much.
Can't block users, you know the "Can someone come look at the copier on floor 7" user.

Haven't tried to do the drag a huge file and transfer it. Skype would let you send Gig+ size.

Yeah, we have skype for business but it's locked down. It can only have meetings/calls/chat and does nothing else.

TEAMs lets us do way more, and if you can manage your team can you just boot the people that don't need on the team?

You'd need to get management to start cracking down on using technology poorly. Same as sending out company wide emails (which they shouldn't have access too).

I settled on OpenProject. I am just running the docker Image on a NUC at our office. Free and pretty powerful.

It does have some missing features like handing non work days on time lines Etc. but it is pretty complete overall.

AFAIK we don't have any official in my company but i started using ProjectLibre - a FOSS application with resource management, Gantt chart and compatible with MS Project. It works great for our projects.

We have been using Basecamp since 2012. For us it covers all of the bases from sharing large files to making sure everyone on the team knows what is going on. They also have an app for both Android and IPhone and no per user charges.