FactoryTalk "Reach the max retry times"

Compass

Hi

I'm using FactoryTalk View Studio - View Machine Edition.
Release 7.00.00 ( CPR 9 SR 6 )
pactch 00
build 13
On Windows XP

When I try to open an application I get the message:
"Reach the max retry times"

Our sites panelviews still work. My local copy is still in its directory.

Anybody know what's up?

Welcome to the Forum!

Is there any chance you have compressed files in Windows?...

516412 - FactoryTalk View ME: Opening in Studio results in error "Reach the max retry times"
Access Level: TechConnect

Your application's tag database may be compressed, and possibly others?

If Windows XP, navigate to...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\<your project>\Tag

If using Windows 7 or above...

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\<your project>\Tag

...and see if the files listed are in BLUE. If they are then they have been compressed by Windows and will need to be decompressed.

If you cannot read the technote above and need to perform this then let us know and we can further assist you...

What the hell, I just though that along with the OP in March, others, like yourself, will undoubtedly arrive here anyway wanting to know what to do next...

First, you need to stop the FactoryTalk Tag Database SQL instance so as to give you access to edit the compressed files...

Go to Services...

Start>Run type services.msc then click OK

Find the service...

SQL Server (FTVIEWX64TAGDB)

...and right-click it and select Stop

Go back to the tag database files in the Tag folder and we will instead use the excellent advice given at the end of the technote by "Kakkerlak", which, if I'm not mistaken, is our very own Ken Roach?...

From the Tag folder navigate back up to the RSView Enterprise folder level above it and from here we can execute a "global" decompression which will decompress any and all application tag databases that may have been compressed beneath this level...

Right-click on the RSView Enterprise folder and under Attributes select Advanced...

Look under Compress or Encrypt attributes and if Compress contents to save disk space is not already checked, then first check it to compress from this level down.

Once that is complete then reverse the process by unchecking Compress contents to save disk space at the RSView Enterprise folder level. This should now have uncompressed everything beneath this level and your application tag database files should no longer be BLUE.

Go back to the service...

SQL Server (FTVIEWX64TAGDB)

...and right-click it and select Start

You should now be able to open your applications in FactoryTalk View Studio without that message.

NOTE: Be wary when Windows announces that you may be running out of disk space. If you select to automatically free up space, then one of the methods used is to compress what it thinks are unused files. Because these tag database files, and many others, might not be accessed for considerably long periods of time, they end up on the "hit list".

Regards,
George

Last edited:
In my case it was compressed files. It's not that I did it, XP compresses automatically after so much time. It's strange that Factorytalk has a problem with this, and older RSView does not.

Anyhow, like the person above said, navigate to the project folder, right click, and unselect compress options.

Also there's something in folder options that will make compressed files turn blue so these problems are easier to spot. If you don't already have this feature.

My Computer - > Tools -> Folder Options -> View ->
Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

Thanks for the update on your solution Compass. It does help to come back and provide this information, even if no one was available to help you at the time. This way you are assisting here as well as seeking assistance. But we're all busy, I know!

For the Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color setting in Windows XP; this setting is enabled by default. Unless someone had intentionally deselected it, most users should be good to go.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,
George

Much appreciated for the solution to this problem. It was bugging me for a while. Only problem is that now when I try to load any of my projects it is coming up with a "Cannot Open HMI server." I restarted the SQL after decompressing the files. If I upload the current file from the HMI and then restore the runtime, it works fine, but we have over 50 projects throughout the factory and preferably I don't want to upload all of the files individually from each HMI and then restore each one. Also I tried uploading and restoring an older file and it will not let me restore it.

TLDR: Restart the computer

I was having the same issue with ver8.20.
I uploaded from the .mer from the panelview and then deleted and restored the application via application manager.
I continued to get the issue until I restarted the computer at which time the application finally started working.