Controllogix / Panelview Plus 600 question

tinyku

Hello Everybody,

I have searched through the forums before posting, but maybe I missed this.

I am trying to figure out how to link a panelview plus 600 to a controllogix 1756 system.

I have never used a controllogix before, the PLCs I had used were SLCs and I had never needed to connect up to a panelview HMI. I've used other PLCs and other HMIs, mostly Siemens.

The guy who quit before I started working here had used this for a project but he deleted all of the project files and emptied it out.

The software I have is RSLogix 500 and 5000, RSview ME Station and RSView Studio, RSLinx Classic, and Factory Talk.

The Controllogix has a 1756-ENBT A communications card. I believe based on the electrician that he had the HMI connected to the controllogix through ethernet directly. It looks like the IPs of both of them are setup.

I am able to connect to the Controllogix and create stuff and upload it. I was able to also create some screens and upload it to the HMI, but I'm not sure how to link the two together.

What I wanted to do with the HMI was to monitor some of the inputs and some internal bits. I wouldn't require an HMI for what I'm trying to do, but since I have it, I would like to use it if I could figure it out.

If anybody can give me some advice on what steps I need to take to link these two, or how I should be hooking it up and what I need to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Also,

I found in the box of stuff that this was in there was an ethernet switch, so I will get that in there and have the HMI and the PLC both connected to the switch, also with the laptop.

You will need to work with RSView ME Studio. There, you will set up the communications paths and build the displays. If you have a Rockwell Software support contract I would suggest that you call them. Their PV people are great, and it takes a while to get up to speed with View ME. The learning curve is pretty steep, even if you are comfortable with RS5K and HMI's in general. Also try the search function here. Lots of PV information up for grabs that way.

As far as addressing, the direct method is one I use - rather than having a tag database in your HMI, for the tag use {your_plc_name}your_plc_tagname. This assumes you have your IP addressing set up.

It's not that difficult. Curse the lack of scriptedness, though.

IP Address Setup

Are you sure that the other guy had already setup the IP Address for the PV terminal? Can you see the terminal when you open RSLinx on your PC?

Yeah, I can see it and I connected to it through Ethernet directly to the laptop. I was able to create a project and upload it, it was just a screen with text.