CompactLOgix L32E Unkown IPaddress please help!

khaledgenidy

Hi All,

I am new to PLC, i am using Allen Bradley.
My issue here is that one of the company's old coworkers setup an ip address for the plc but with no IPAddress labeled

whenever i use BOOTP/DHCP Server:
1- It always shows me 3 different Ethernet address (How to know Which is the PC and which is the PLC?)

2- It always shows me the type is DHCP (Does it matter if its on DHCP or BOOTP?)

3- Main question is (Is there any way i could know the IP address for that CompactLogix L32E?)

I want to start a small project and looking forward someone to guide me to know these three answers.

Thanks,

start with opening RSLinxs classic and see if it detects your plc(make sure the Ethernet IP driver is configured first)

For starting off I would recommend to statically assign an IP address rather than dynamically just make sure not to take something else's IP address on the network.

1- It always shows me 3 different Ethernet address (How to know Which is the PC and which is the PLC?)

You can match the IP address to the MAC address that shows up beside it in BOOTP/DHCP (XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX). I think the MAC address on an L32 is under the battery cover, on the side of the unit.

If you don't feel like pulling the processor off the rack, open RSLinx and configure an ethernet driver to contain all three addresses that you see popping up. Once RSLinx starts browsing, it should tell you which is which.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Because the controller also has an RS-232 serial port, you can connect to that with a 1756-CP3 cable (or any other null-modem cable) and use the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx Classic to "drill down" to the Ethernet port object.

That will allow you to read or write the IP address for the controller.

In general, CompactLogix L32E controllers MAC ID's begin with 00:00:BC:xx:xx:xx, if you want to keep trying the DHCP utility.

You should be able to look IP address besides your Mac address in Bootp software, and then you can change the IP address of your computer.

The best option will be, as you are using compact logix, you should be able to get online using USB cable (AB USB cable used in a printer) and then you can right-click on the processor and assign the IP address and then try with the ethernet cable.

Let me know if you have any question,

thank you

Last edited:
You should be able to look IP address besides your Mac address in Bootp software, and then you can change the IP address of your computer.

The best option will be, as you are using compact logix, you should be able to get online using USB cable (AB USB cable used in a printer) and then you can right-click on the processor and assign the IP address and then try with the ethernet cable.

Let me know if you have any question,

thank you

The L32E doesn't have a USB port, it has a serial port as Ken mentioned