PKTX card driver

bbickett

Hello! I installed an allen bradley pktx card on a work station with xp. It is recognized by the pc correctly, but I am unable to configure the driver in RSlinx. Error: Unable to open the device b/c the process map object could not be created.
I have changed the jumpers on the card, and tried changing the address in the configuration. Any help would be appreciated.

1784-PKTx card installation

I too am having a problem installing a PKTx card in a newer WinXP computer. I cannot get rid of the flashing green light. I'm using RSLinx 243. This started when I upgraded from an older win98 computer. It was working fine there. Computer device manager says the card is working fine. I thought maybe the card was bad and tried a new one, same problem. Any settings on my computer that may be comflicting? Thanks...Jim Schroll

Typical LED behavior for a KTX or PKTX card
There is no LED information in the manuals of the KTx or PKTx, because it is defined by the firmware that is loaded
into the card from the software application.
Typically a configured card when not connected to a network will have its associated channel LED's
flashing green to indicate that the card is configured to communicate, but is not seeing any other device.
A card that is communicating with 1 or more nodes on a network, and is not a duplicate node, will show a solid green light for that channel.
If the card is configured as a duplicate note, and the network is plugged in, the light will stay flashing green.
If the network is plugged in when the card is brought on line, the green light will be off.
Anytime an LED is red or flashing red, typically it means that a fault occurred or the hardware has crashed.
Summary: tells the status of the indicators
Catalog Number: 1784KTX;1784KTXD;1784PKTX;1784PKTXD
DocFullNum: G19055827

Driver may not be your problem. The blinking green lite usually means
your not connected. ( see pic). Check your connections, then check them again. ( termination resistors?)

DHLites.jpg

DH485Lites.jpg

Last edited:
I did use the driver that was on the rslinx disk. Dont know if it makes any diff, but when you look at the driver from the hardware profile, it says no drivers are installed. Is that normal?

The driver is used in your computers hardware manager,select pktx card, use update driver button, browse to the pktx driver you downloaded from the AB website, then ok or apply.

once hardware driver is installed then you can set up the rslinx software driver...

if not allready chosen use the pktx driver which will have more or less names depending on your version of RSLinx... when you use the default name select the proper device pktx... a wrong choice for an uninserted card at this point will take you to blue screen of death land...once proper device selected for rslinx driver , choose desired network...dh+ dh485 and applicable address and speed...should work ok at that point... after ok/applying the driver you should see the driver name followed by running and under the status column it shjould say running... if its stopped or conflict it wont work.

Last edited:
The configuration I am trying to do is connecting to channel 1A of a "master" PLC 5/40 which already has a field PLC 5/20 connected to it. I want to parallel right off there and go to my PC. I have not used a terminating resistor. Did'nt have one on the win98 computer previously.
I am using the pktx driver, although after installing it, in the hardware
profile it states that no drivers are loaded. Maybe thats normal. If not, then the driver isnt loaded but the procedure to load it from the disk apparently went normal.

Have you tried "update driver" from device manager? I did this type of install recently and vaguely remember having to do something unusual. Good luck
Marc

Yeah, tried updating the driver. Worked on it last nite, still left with a flashing green light. Guess Ill just keep pluggin away. Probably is something simple. Thanks for the help, guys! Jim