Need to Restore PLC w/ Wiped Memory

mjellison

Hi All,

We are using a MicroLogix 1400 PLC in a double-sided lapping machine at my work. Unfortunately while the breaker switch was turned off, the lithium ion battery got unplugged which wiped the memory in the PLC.

I believe I have found a backup file, but it is in .xml format. Would it make sense that one of these files would be in the .xml file format? If so, how do I convert the file back into something that I can upload to the PLC? Do I need to purchase RXLogix 500 in order to do this, or is there a free program that I could use?

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

You will need RSLogix500, there's no way around that.

The file suffix you need should be a .RSS file. The .xml file might be something you can use, but someone more knowledgeable than I will need to weigh in on that.

Good luck!!

Try a local Rockwell Service Center, they can send a field engineer to upload the program. Doubtful that the *.xml file will help, sounds like an MS Excel file to me.

Try a local Rockwell Service Center, they can send a field engineer to upload the program. Doubtful that the *.xml file will help, sounds like an MS Excel file to me.

If the CPU's memory has been cleared due to the battery being taken out, there will be no code to upload.

I haven't seen a way of converting an .xml file back to a .rss. Unless someone on here can correct me.

If the CPU's memory has been cleared due to the battery being taken out, there will be no code to upload.

I haven't seen a way of converting an .xml file back to a .rss. Unless someone on here can correct me.

me neither. The program will have to be re-rwitten from scratch or the OEM to be contacted for the source file. Damn situation, been there myself a coule of times.

I know you can get a working backup sometimes if you have an .l5x file with logix 5k.

That's done in an xml format.

mjellison might be in luck then. I'll have to admit I never looked at the backup features. I just save ste files to disks and USB sticks. Thanks for pointing this out, Rob.

People with special skills and equipment might be able to read out wiped 0's and 1's. But it is lightyears away from being feasible.

No, Logix5000 is not compatible with Logix500.

There never was an export to XML with the RSLogix500 software, that only came in with RSLogix5000, but it used the file extension L5X, not XML

I suspect the file you have is not a "backup" of the MicroLogix project.

If you can post the xml file, someone might recognise what it is, the project name, target PL:C etc,