Logix Designer - Failed to Create Module Profile

Popo Karimu

Hi PLC programmers,

I got a problem regarding my installation of Logix Designer/Logix5K. Here's the situation...

a) Initially installed Studio 5000 without problem.
b) I needed to open a program from Logix v20.1, installed RSLogix5k v20.1. After installing v20.1, RSLogix was corrupted and won't open program.
c) Reinstalled entire Logix Software.
d) Was able to open and convert program from Logix5k v20.1 to Logix Designer v24 but this annoying error occured on v24 (See attached "EN2T")... "Failed to Create Module Profile".

All of a sudden, the module (1756-EN2T) I created with working v24 is no longer usable. Now, even when I create a new project, add a module with "Select Module Type", the list of available modules has been trimmed down to what it normally has (see attached "AB_Modtype"). Kept on re-installing entire Logix 3 times, clearing the registry with CCleaner and even deleted installation folder for Rockwell software but the problem is never gone. I even downloaded AOP for EN2T and installed it but to no avail.

Now I'm lost and dumbfounded that uninstalling and reinstalling isn't working. By the way the OS I'm using is "Windows 7 Enterprise". I appreciate all the help I could get. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Andrei K.

EN2T_ModuleProf_Problem.jpg AB_Modtype.png

Last edited:
Can you see it in RS Linx? Have you tried to install the latest add on profile? You can download it from the AB support site.

Last edited:
Can you see it in RS Linx? Have you tried to install the latest add on profile? You can download it from the AB support site.

Yes, 1756-EN2T is very visible with RSLinx like normal. I already downloaded the add on profile, installed it but nothing happened. I suspect the problem is already "registry" level. Unfortunately, I haven't found any solution for it on the internet. :sick:

Did you go straight from V20.1 to V24?

V20.1 had compatibility issues with V20.3, so V20.4 was brought out.

I would uninstall V24, then install V20.4 (download from Rockwell) and then re-install V24. That may fix it...........

I know that V20 is still RSLogix5000 and V24 is Studio5000, but essentially is the same program.

another straw at which to grasp ...

this is a minor excerpt from Knowledgebase Article 32507 ... I found this reference by searching for Error 8609-0 (see the popup on your posted screen shot) ...

Delete the modules from I/O tree and recreate them. It would be a good idea to also export the .ACD file to .L5K type and back, and then add the modules back.

good luck with it ...

I would uninstall V24, then install V20.4 (download from Rockwell) and then re-install V24. That may fix it...........

I know that V20 is still RSLogix5000 and V24 is Studio5000, but essentially is the same program.

I installed V24 first. I only used V20 in order to open my old program. I no longer have any need for V20. I already uninstalled then reinstalled Studio5000 V24 for like 4 times already and the module profile is still incomplete. Thanks! :)

another straw at which to grasp ...

this is a minor excerpt from Knowledgebase Article 32507 ... I found this reference by searching for Error 8609-0 (see the popup on your posted screen shot) ...

good luck with it ...

Good day mr. Ron,

My problem lies with the addition of "module profile". Even when I create a new project, upon adding a module, several modules like 1756-EN2T are already missing. I've tried to download and install AOP for EN2T but still doesn't work. I think the problem roots within the "registry". Thank you very much.

There isn't an order that Logix5000 installations have to be installed.

I honestly believe that the EN2T AOP still isn't installed despite the OP's insistance that it is. I'd uninstall it (assuming it is) and reinstall it.

Let's begin by checking whether the necessary AOP files are installed, or not.

Depending on x86 or x64 OS, go to...

x86: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\

...or...

x64: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\

...and look for the folder...

RA 1756 Ethernet

Here you should see certain XML files for some of the 1756 Ethernet modules.

Incidentally, you should also see a folder at the same path...

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\

...named...

RA 1756 ENet Comms

Here you should see certain XML files for some of the other 1756 Ethernet modules.

RSLogix 5000 / Logix Designer (Studio 5000) both use the parameters within these XML files to configure Ethernet Module Profile instances.

If both those folders are present then please list their contents (file names) or provide screenshots.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I had the same thing happened to my coworkers laptop. I tried installing the AOP several times with no success.what seems to have caused him all the issues was when he was installing the software, he unchecked some of the install options under module profiles. The only way we got it to work was to wipe the hard drive and start over. He told me he didn't want to install all the extra "junk".

Kev77 said:
...The only way we got it to work was to wipe the hard drive and start over...

Hi,

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It may or it may not come to that. But there are other things to check before "pulling the pin" here.

G.

Let's begin by checking whether the necessary AOP files are installed, or not.

Depending on x86 or x64 OS, go to...

x86: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\

...or...

x64: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\

...and look for the folder...

RA 1756 Ethernet

Here you should see certain XML files for some of the 1756 Ethernet modules.

Incidentally, you should also see a folder at the same path...

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\

...named...

RA 1756 ENet Comms

Here you should see certain XML files for some of the other 1756 Ethernet modules.

RSLogix 5000 / Logix Designer (Studio 5000) both use the parameters within these XML files to configure Ethernet Module Profile instances.

If both those folders are present then please list their contents (file names) or provide screenshots.

Regards,
George

Good day George,

None of the folders that you mentioned exists in the "Module Profiles" folder(see image "moduleprof"). I attempted to install AOP for Ethernet (images moduleprof2 to moduleprof4)but still failed to add 1756-EN2T on my module profile list.

Thanks,
Andrei K.

moduleprof.jpg moduleprof2.jpg moduleprof3.png moduleprof4.png

I had the same thing happened to my coworkers laptop. I tried installing the AOP several times with no success.what seems to have caused him all the issues was when he was installing the software, he unchecked some of the install options under module profiles. The only way we got it to work was to wipe the hard drive and start over. He told me he didn't want to install all the extra "junk".

That's strange! Upon installation of RSLogix, I never encountered a check/uncheck option for module profiles. However, before installation of RSLogix, there indicates a message "Initializing Module Profiles..." (see image attached).

Thanks,
Andrei K.

init_modprof.png