Powerflex 40 comm loose on power down and power up

I was wondering if anyone found any issue on this ?

I have the same type of problem.
We have powerflex 40, when we shut-down power either for maintenance or when they are cleaning (lock out tag out) and we restart. Once in a while, a drive will not communicate anymore and if we wait 10-30 minutes, it will come back alive. That's been going on for nearly 3 years when the equipment was install. (before I got here).

Now I am starting to have the same issue but worst with another drive in the same system.
There was no communication, even if we waited 30 minutes. Last week-end during shutdown, same issue and it took 1hour something before comeback alive. We got the equipment running by installing a contactor but 60hz isn't what we are looking for on this, we need a drive.
It eventually came back but after something like 3 hours.

I don't think my guys tested it on "manual" even if I asked.

Was wondering if anyone ever found the problem and fixed it ?

Thank you

We have had this issue many times, we contacted Rockwell, what we were told (off top of my head not in office) that the power supplyed to the ribbon cable is bad or going bad. They say it is a heat problem which I think is BS, our cabinets are ac and humidity controlled. Bad design

22- NO COMM-E (that was NO COMM)

Holy C R A P...I just went through about 6 hours fighting with this same problem. 12 PowerFlex 40s on Ethernet. After a PLC powerdown to change a battery that we couldn't get out of an L35E without removing the CPU, 2 of the 12 22-COMM-E cards went blank (the LEDs all off), would not power up, and would not communicate. The drives were not even shut off. I have to say that I normally enjoy good tech support from Rockwell but, given that this is a known problem, the hours and hours spent on the phone with them today leaves me with a bad taste. I think far too much time was spent on the communications with the PLC and those annoying ribbon cables. The tech support rep clearly thought I was crazy. IMHO, the PLC is not going to communicate if there are no LEDs on, on the COMM-E. Anyway, was only able to get one working again and don't really know why it's working. Just spent hours swapping cards and cables from spare parts and other working drives until it lit up. No rhyme nor reason to it. Also, trying to upload from drive and 22-COMM-E using connected components workshop and 1203-USB. About 20 seconds after plugging in the 1203 to the serial port in the drive, and beginning the upload, the LEDs all went out again and comms were lost with the PLC and the CCW software. Final tech support suggestion was to upgrade CPU firmware to 20 from 16. Not risking that late Friday evening when most things were operational again. Anyone else have less hair over this and maybe some solutions? Bed time. Thanks!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O PS - This system has been operating with no issues like this for 8 years. Got the temperature/ventilation question from tech support as did iggy, but these panels are well ventilated as well. Maybe these need some GM ignition switches installed on them?

Last edited:
Yes meetvisakh...change parameter 36 to 0 (from 5) and press the start button on the keypad. That should bring the communications back to life. Stop the drive and put P036 back to 5. Good luck!! :p

Ethernet Module not powering up

I had have been having the same problems with 40 and 40p drives. The issue is definatly in the drives, contacted allen bradley and they told me the power supply caps are getting weak. they will do an exchange for a nominal charge, not sure what it is since we dont do the buying. The drives were purchased in Europe, not sure if that is a common denominator but it we havent had the replacement drives fail yet.

Powerflex 40 comm loose

I had the same problem with the powerflex 40 inverter and found that the problem is in the power supply. Beside the connector of the communication board has a 7805 regulator that provides 5v to power the board. If you measure in the regulator, we will see that the output is below 5v, but the problem is not the regulator, because the regulator input is also low. The problem is in a 1000uf x 10v capacitor from the power supply.