TIA Portal Help

sawyer65

It time to swallow my pride and admit I need help with TIA Portal.I am having a hard time learning the basic's. I am used to working LS,Mitsubishi,Omron and Allen Bradley which are all basically straight forward, set the communication parameters, and then there is a upload/read from PLC/open from PLC type button that will enable me to upload the logic from the PLC to my laptop.I cannot seem to get to that point in TIA Portal.I have read/scanned through huundreds of pages of siemens manuals but everything seems to be slanted to starting from scratch which is not what I need to do. I need to upload the logic from a already programmed PLC for troubleshooting purposes.Will someone point me to a step by step of how to upload the logic from a siemens s7-1200 PLC including any type of conditions I need to check. For example, how to check the version of the software the PLC was last written with so I know which version to load onto my laptop.Also a step by step of how to download to the PLC and how to do online editing would be very helpful.

Hi there,

Since TIA Portal itself and S7-1200/1500s became very popular on this side of the pond, at least. I believe, you definetely will able to find just enormous big number of movies and even channels devoted to those products on youtube.

Just make a query on 'TIA, S7-1200, S7-1500'. I'm sure the most of answers you asked above, you'll find watching related videos.

Been through it a few times myself, really.

Also, there's a support forum (for english speaking people as well), where you'll able to ask more concrete questions. https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/us/en

BR
EStufC

Last edited:
Did a web search for 'video siemens tia portal upload a program' and got a few hits. Haven't needed to upload so I can't say if they are good/bad right/wrong, but it is a good place to start. They all seem to assume that either uploading is allowed or you know any passwords used.

I don't think uploading will get you comments and tag names, so it is a lot better to get an original copy of the program if you can.

I don't think uploading will get you comments and tag names, so it is a lot better to get an original copy of the program if you can.

Uploading will get him everything..

But the biggest problem is knowing and having the exact version of the software that was used. All the problems I had with uploading were because of that.

Hi again,

probably this paper might be helpful to you. Read it carefully and It'll shed the light on some things...

Last edited:
But the biggest problem is knowing and having the exact version of the software that was used. All the problems I had with uploading were because of that.
I have never had to upload with TIA, but I am curious about this.
Is it not enough that the TIA version is same or greater than the one the program was made in ?

Is it not enough that the TIA version is same or greater than the one the program was made in ?

Uploading using later versions is fine, except if the PLC was downloaded with the very first release of TIA Portal (V10.5). You would need V10.5 to upload, and you had to jump through hoops to get it to work.

Uploading using later versions is fine, except if the PLC was downloaded with the very first release of TIA Portal (V10.5). You would need V10.5 to upload, and you had to jump through hoops to get it to work.
Thanks. It is unlikely that I shall ever have to upload a V10.5 program :)

qwemx said:
I have a 17 MB document which will be helpful.Please send me your email address.
If it is of general interest, then post it in the downloads section.

Just for a couple of tidbits of information about V10.5...

- it was released in 2009
- only for the S7-1200 PLC
- the firmware of the CPUs was V1.x
- you could only do a consistent download - meaning only download the entire program, and only in STOP mode

Some later versions can upload older ones, but not all and with various results.. For instance, you can upload, but it will stay as "different" and you can't watch it online.. The others you just can't upload with newer ones. Like V13.0...