Powerflex 525 configuration with Logix Designer

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have a project coming up with about 25 powerflex 525's on a DLR network. Processor is a 1756-L82ES. In the past, I would have used CCW to set up all the VSD parameters and download to them, and as a "backup" of all drive parameters. With the new versions of Logix, it looks as if Rockwell are intending to migrate that functionality into Logix Designer more than previously.

Using Logix Designer v32, is it a straightforward process to set up and download drive parameters to all my drives? As compared to how straightforward it is using CCW? Anyone got hands on experience/tips to share?

You can do all the Drive Parameters in Studio 5000. After you add the drive, right-click, then Properties and one of the tabs is for upload/download/parameter settings. No need to bother with CCW. The beauty is you store all the drive parameters in the Studio 5000 project. Plus, if you turn ADC on, the parameters are automatically downloaded to that IP address if they don't match.

Just make sure you don't turn on the ADC until you have everything setup.

Alan.
And afterward, if you DO tweak a drive, remember to update it to the PLC. Otherwise when someone cycles power, it reverts to the previous settings.

There is no move toward Studio 5000, it’s an either/or situation between Studio 5000 and CCW. The user interface screens and functionality are the same. So as mentioned if you have Studio 5000, you don’t need CCW. This was one of the things that changed between RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000; in the old system you needed another program (Drives Explorer or Executive) for programming the drives. Now you do not. Conversely you can think of CCW as a drives programming tool for those who don’t have access Studio 5000.

As others mentioned, it can be done from Logix Designer, though I wouldn't exactly call it straightforward. There are little quirks, I'll give you my workflow that seems to work:

-Set all of our drive IP addresses in the DLR card
-Download your project with all of the drives inhibited
-Go Offline
-Open the first drive, download the parameters to the drive
-(the drive properties is completely different in the newer version so I can't give specifics on the tabs and clicks)
-Repeat with each drive
-Re-download the project after you have loaded all of the parameters with the drives "un-inhibited".

Having the drives inhibited during the download of the parameters will prevent the occasional connection failures. Being offline will speed the whole process up. Properties open faster when offline.

Thanks all, and especially Dustin for the additional workflow tips! Sounds like it'll be easier to do it all in Logix.

Not sure if I'll use ADC or not, because I'm not confident the people who will inherit this system will appreciate the "magically" changing parameters the first time they decide to tweak something. I think I probably will, because I'm even less confident in their ability to restore the parameters after replacing a drive :ROFLMAO:

I’m on the tail end of rolling an AOI that writes the required parameters to the VFDs automagically, without all the hit-or-miss usability, firmware impasses, and [insert random hurdle here] of the Rockwell ADC feature.

It originally started as a workaround to the nonsense involved with setting up “Data Links”, so you instead get up to 64 (and more!) feedback values (in neat, human-friendly formats), and the only VFD hands-on configuration required are the 9-13 IP parameters (Parameter source, Address octets 1-4, Subnet Octets 1-4, and Gateway optional).

edit: I’m also seriously considering ditching Rockwell’s AOP and doing it all with generic objects, despite the trade-offs.

Without dumping my hard-earned source code, I’m happy to answer questions.

Last edited:
Very cool. How are you reading and writing the parameters without datalinks? I hate setting them up too.

Interesting! How did you read all that data from the drive without data links? I'd imagine you could do it with a message instruction, but then message instructions within AOI's are a huge PITA in my (recent) experience.

I’m on the tail end of rolling an AOI that writes the required parameters to the VFDs automagically, without all the hit-or-miss usability, firmware impasses, and [insert random hurdle here] of the Rockwell ADC feature.

It originally started as a workaround to the nonsense involved with setting up “Data Links”, so you instead get up to 64 (and more!) feedback values (in neat, human-friendly formats), and the only VFD hands-on configuration required are the 9-13 IP parameters (Parameter source, Address octets 1-4, Subnet Octets 1-4, and Gateway optional).

edit: I’m also seriously considering ditching Rockwell’s AOP and doing it all with generic objects, despite the trade-offs.

Without dumping my hard-earned source code, I’m happy to answer questions.

Sounds really interesting, you'll have to keep us updated on how it works out.

We use lots of PowerFlex drives so we're probably loading up a couple/few hundred a year. It's a mix of 523's and 525's these days. Back in the PowerFlex 4 series days, we'd use drive executive. There was a bug when using Drive Executive with the 520 series where the controller would fault if you stayed online too long.

There was also a bug in the early CCW, I can't remember exactly what it was at the moment. I remember Rockwell telling us to hand enter parameters until the next release (I should write these things down :)).

So at that time, I bought a cheap USB-RS485 adapter, the wrote a python script using minimal modbus to write the parameters using the DSI port. I just have pre-configured text files with the parameter numbers and values to be written. I can have a dozen drives PowerFlex 523's configured in a minute. For 525's, I just write the IP Address, then do the rest of the work from the tree, like I described in my previous post.

I've been thinking about adding the ability to grab the current parameters and save the non-default values. Some day...

I just finished writing the entire AOI over a 12-hour stretch today (reliable VFD reads and auto-configuration, tested on 8x VFD) and will do some clean-up later.

I'll cover the parameter reads in this post. I'm tired.

Interesting! How did you read all that data from the drive without data links? I'd imagine you could do it with a message instruction, but then message instructions within AOI's are a huge PITA in my (recent) experience.

Yep. Messaging and it's super easy.

First, read up on scattered reads here, Chapter 6 Page 75.

Briefly, the AOI will be instantiated per VFD and my preference is program-scoping these every time. This is done on either a 5370 or 5380.

The message you create will be IN/OUT parameter to the AOI. You will need one of these messages per VFD. On a 5370 controller, that'll make it a controller-scoped tag. On a 5380 and beyond, it can be program-scoped alongside the AOI.

The only properties you need to set up within the first message instance are:
  • Message Type: CIP Generic
  • Service Type: Custom
  • Service Code: 32
  • Source Element: Array of INT. Size = 2x number of desired VFD parameters to read. Max: 64 parameters = 128 INT.
  • Source Length: 2x the number of VFD parameters you want to read. Max: 64 parameters * 2 bytes per = 256 bytes.
  • Destination Element: Use the same array you created above. Ignore everything Rockwell says about needing two INT arrays. You just need one: the Destination element will be the Source. On a 5370 controller, this is controller-scoped. It can be program-scoped alongside the Message on a 5380. More on the array!
  • Path: Name of the VFD Module within your project tree.
The array is also an IN/OUT parameter to the AOI.

The remaining messages can be copied and pasted within 5000 and the properties you've configured will be copied as well. You just need to adjust the path.

The rest of the message properties can be set up within the AOI, to save time and reduce error:
Code:
MessageName.Class := 16#0093;
MessageName.Instance := 0;
MessageName.Attribute := 16#0000;

Here's how the scattered read works:
  • You provide the desired parameters in the even-indexed array elements.
  • Example: I wanted the three most recent fault codes, output frequency, and bus voltage:
Code:
array[0] := 7;
array[2] := 8;
array[4] := 9;
array[6] := 1;
array[8] := 5;
  • When the message is triggered, the entire array block is transmitted to the VFD.
  • The VFD returns the block, having populated the adjacent odd-indexed elements with values:
Code:
array[1] has 73   // fault 73
array[3] has 114  // fault 114
array[5] has 4    // fault 4
array[7] has 5702 // output frequency, more on this one
array[9] has 702  // bus voltage
  • Where and what parameters can be retrieved? All of them! The 525 manual here has them all starting at Chapter 3 Page 76.
  • Drop the prefix character and any leading zeroes. (i.e. Bus Voltage B005 is just '5')
  • The returned parameters are integral values so, in several cases, you will need to convert the returned values. In others, it's one-to-one.
  • Converting read values is easy: In the 525 manual, the 'Display' property is all you need.
  • We read parameter 1 earlier, with a Display 0.01 Hz, so conversion is easy:
Code:
OutputFrequency := array[7] * 0.01;
OutputFrequency equals 57.02 now
  • The bus voltage is already integral:
Code:
BusVolts := array[9];
This buys you up to 64 parameters. Persistence will net you even more. Playing to win will yield an AOI with messaging that never fails.

Last edited: