Ethernet connection on PC no longer working after using RSLinx to connect to PLC

Howard999

My network connection on my lap top no longer works. It just says network cable unplugged. This same thing happened on another laptop, that the maintenance guys use for troubleshooting on the floor. Both are Panasonic toughbooks, both came up with the connection problem after installing RS5000 and using them on a Control Logix Processor. Has anyone seen this happen before and what is the fix? We typically set the IP address of the laptop when using the RS5000 software and use detect automatic for LAN use.

Do they use the same laptop for SLC500s??
Say ones with the funny looking RJ-45 port on the front?
Which is not Ethernet and can fry your ethernet port on your PC if you "Accidentally" plug it into on of the DH ports?

They do use the same laptop for SLC500, but they use the serial cable and DF1 driver. We did have an issue with another laptop and a AIC when they plugged the enet cable into it, it took out the adapter.

I have the same sinking feeling that your PC's Ethernet port got plugged into an old SLC-5/01-02-03 controller's DH485 port. These have +24V on one of the pins, which will destroy an Ethernet twisted-pair transceiver.

RSLinx uses the ordinary TCP/IP stack; it cannot affect the link detection or IP assignment functionality of your Ethernet NIC.

I cannot say for 100 % certainty on the maintenance laptop, but on my personnal laptop that has not happened. It was a new laptop with ethernet working. I installed the RS5000 software with RSlinx and went down to a machine to test connectivity. I changed my IP address to a static address and connected to one of our Control Logix processors via ethernet IP driver in RSLinx. Thought everything was fine until this morning when one of the other engineers up here ask if my laptop connection was working. So I turned it on and no good. I have uninstalled RSLinx and am in the process of reinstalling. I did a restore prior to reinstalling to hopefully set the laptop back to a good point.

I am sending these posts from another laptop that I use regularly to connect to both SLC500 and Control Logix platforms, I have not had any trouble with my ethernet port on this laptop, I am using an older version of RSLinx though.

I have reinstalled RSLinx but it is still giving the message that network cable unplugged. I check the network adapter in windows and it says the device is working properly. ????????

Just because the port works fine doesn't mean that it will display "connected" when there's no physical cable attached to it.

Try to connect to the internet the same way you connect with this PC.
If it works, then there's no issue with your cable, port and such.
If it doesn't, you may need to assign IPs and subnets and such (unless you get dynamic IPs from your IT set up).

You looked into the ethernet adapter properties and you have a match?
And still won't connect?
Have you tried a ping?
A known IP which is currently active?
If you get a reply your port is working.