P2000 TC Module Setup - Burnout Detection

keithkyll

Using a Thermocouple module from Automation Direct on a Productivity 2000 PLC. I have a choice of "Low Side Burnout Detection" or "High Side Burnout Detection".
What is that? Is it something related to differential analog inputs, and they aren't using it for T/C's?

I did a search for "Burnout" in the PDF manuals, but they don't elaborate.
Datasheet says I have an option of "Burn-out Detection: High Side/Disable", but I'm not seeing that in software.

Last edited:
Strange wording, but could it be about the behavior in response to an open circuit? If you are using the thermocouple as the feedback in a heating application, you typically want an open circuit treated as the maximum temperature for the thermocouple type so as to drive the controlled variable to zero. But there may be situations where you want an open circuit to be reported as the minimum temperature.

It's what Steve explains - if the input detects an open circuit, the implication is that the thermocouple has burned out so it is not capable of providing a valid temperature signal.

Almost all heating applications use "high side/disable" for burnout which drives the indicated Process Variable (the indicated temperature value) upscale to its maximum value, which either an on-off or a PID control loop will interpret as "Too hot" (PV greater than setpoint), which will drive the output to 0%, so that the process will be driven to a safe condition, given that the sensor signal is not useable.

I expect a setting of "Upscale" for heating application, "Downscale" for cooling.
You're saying I can translate "High Side" to "Upscale"? Strange wording as Steve said?

Update - Found Answer

Found it in the software package's Help for Analog modules. Was looking for info on setting up alarms for open sensor on the 4-20mA input module. Title of help page is "I/O Module Configuration".

Temperature Modules

For all P Series temperature analog modules (NTC, RTD,and THM) there is a user selectable Burnout Detection setting that can be set to either Low Side Burnout Detection or High Side Burnout Detection. This setting determines the value that will be loaded into the channel's tag name when a sensor for that specific channel detects a failure or becomes disconnected.

Values that get loaded depend on what setting is selected:

• Low Side Burnout = 0
  • High Side Burnout = 65535