Allen Bradley 5069 vs. 1769 Series

Old No. 7

We're starting a new project with Compactlogix PLC, a couple Panelview Plus HMI's, 15 or so Powerflex 525's and a couple remote I/O panels. I'm debating on if we should use the newer 5069 series or stick with 1769.

Pricing seems pretty comparable so cost really isn't an issue.

From a programming standpoint I'm assuming there's little or no difference? Looks like we'd need to update to V29 or V30 though.

We need to communicate with some Modbus TCP and/or RTU devices, so in rack Prosoft modules would be out with the 5069. Not that big of a deal though to use an external gateway.

Anything I should be wary of?

The only issue I've heard about is availability and that could be just local; a customer of mine updated their spec to use these and delivery was a problem. The 5069 series processors are supposed to be very fast (I hear) and I believe require v30. Programming should be similar to the 1734 Point IO.

Just keep in mind that 5069 I/O can be controlled by 1756-L8xE and 5069-Lx controllers only.

It would be all or nothing. If we go the 5069 route we would probably use a 5069-L330ER with local 5069 I/O and a 5069-AENTR for the remote I/O. If we stick with the 1769 we would use local 1769 modules and probably use 1734 Point I/O for the remote.

I believe 5069 IO modules can be added while the processor is in run mode. Adding 1734 IO modules will require an offline edit and a download to the processor. This can be a big deal, depending on your system/process.

The biggest difference between 5069 and 1769 I/O is that you have Gigabit across the backplane with 5069. As someone else mentioned, your choice of processors is also limited to the Control Logix L8 or the 5069 CompactLogix controller.

There are only two reasons to go with 5069:

1. You have an application that is so critically-high-speed that you absolutely, positively need Gigabit across the backplane (doubtful).
2. You want to "future proof" the machine since the 5069 platform is the "new" thing that Rockwell is moving towards.

Most people are considering this due to option #2, but the 1769 platform is going to be around for years. Heck, the SLC platform is still here, being a thorn in my Local Rockwell Rep's side who can't understand why everybody doesn't just tear out all their working PLCs to buy the newest hardware just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
The only issue I've heard about is availability and that could be just local; a customer of mine updated their spec to use these and delivery was a problem. The 5069 series processors are supposed to be very fast (I hear) and I believe require v30. Programming should be similar to the 1734 Point IO.

The small test I did was impressive. A 10-12 ms scan time on a L33ER turned into about 1.5 ms on the new processor.

On my third right now. I was the first to get one from our supplier. They have plenty of stock now.

It is a Hot Rod version...

I am using the 5069 series on a few upcoming projects we will be building. From what I see our local supplier has plenty of available stock.

The 5069 has dual Ethernet ports, with separate Mac IDs. So you can have two networks connected to the same processor.

The 5069 does not have a safety PLC version, yet, but I'm hoping they will soon.

Don't the 5069s modules have less I/O density?
For example, they don't have a 32 point digital input module, 24 VDC. The same for the DO module.

The only thing that came as a bit of a surprise to us was that it seemed we needed to use FactoryTalk View Studio ME v9 or higher to communicate to these controllers.

Maybe there is a rollup patch or something for older versions, that I'm not completely sure. This may not be a problem for most people, but we have ~50 licenses, so upgrading means ~50 computers spread across different departments, so I guess keep that in mind if you fit that mold.

Pricing seems pretty comparable so cost really isn't an issue.

Really? Ok so I don't have a AB price list since the 5069 came out, but looking on Radwell:

5069L310ER Manufactured by ALLEN BRADLEY

PROCESSOR
  • COMPACTLOGIX
  • 5380 SERIES
  • DUAL ETHERNET/IP
  • 1MB MEMORY

Weight: 6.804 kgs

Estimated Retail Price - £1,870.73

Compared to L16ER, ~£800... someone with a 2018 official list price care to share?