Allen Bradley lost activation file

dan13

Some how I lost my activation file in my laptop. I have no idea how to find this. I recently upgraded my OS from windows 98se to XP. (I moved the activation before I upgraded OS). Then I moved my activation like I alway did. Next thing I know, it's GONE. Only thing I did different was I loaded RSlogix 5.50.00 and RSlinx 2.20.00 from RSlogix 2.00.00 and used my old activation disk from 2.00.00 May be it's too old for 5.50.00
I already got the reset for activation from AB last month. I don't want to wait a year.... I just started my PLC class 3 months ago. I need my activation back.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Contact AB directly, they may be able to help.

You can use your master disk as a key disk. Just leave it in your a: drive and launch RS Logix.

This happened to me, also. I tried to move activation to the master disk and didn't realize it was write protected. Instead of stopping the process, it removed the file from my c: drive and laughed at me.

TM

I've already try what you said. My computer is saying "activation file not found" Allen bradley won't help me since the software is not in my name. I already got a reset from them last month. I got this activation disk from my old company when they went out of production. Is there anyway I can find the activation in my computer?? Maybe windows XP won't read RSlogix 2.00.00 activation to RSlogix software 5.50.00?? This sucks, I love to learn this software. I don't want to spend $1,100 for a new software..

I've already try what you said. My computer is saying "activation file not found" Allen bradley won't help me since the software is not in my name. I already got a reset from them last month. I got this activation disk from my old company when they went out of production. Is there anyway I can find the activation in my computer?? Maybe windows XP won't read RSlogix 2.00.00 activation to RSlogix software 5.50.00?? This sucks, I love to learn this software. I don't want to spend $1,100 for a new software..

activation problem

A few years ago i had exactly the same sort of problem when i upgraded from 98 to M.E, i moved the activation before I upgraded OS and checked that the move was sucessful which it was. Installed logix 5.2 on the drive and reinstalled the activation file, went to open it no activation found :(

Scratched my head for a while still no good. Contacted AB they reset it ect but still the the same old story PC said activation was installed but when run no file was found.

AB didnt come up with anything else.
Checked out floppy and found the file was still on the disk as there wasn't much on the pc i reformated the drive reloaded everything including logix and hey presto everthing was hunky dory.

maybe it was a AB problem or a windows problem but it has been trouble free ever since.
probaly not much help but you never know?

kev

ampman is right; the activation system uses files EVRSI.SYS and 386SWAP.PAR

Usually Windows tries to hide them; you have to tell Windows Explorer to Show Hidden System Files. They should be in your C:\ root directory.

Thes files are special; you can't just move or copy them to a diskette or another disk volume. That's what the EVMOVE program is for.

However, the most common thing that happens to the EVRSI.SYS file is that it gets it's File Attributes messed up. It should be System, Hidden, and Read-Only, but not Archived.

I hear RSI will be moving to a different activation system this fall that will use an ordinary text file as the key, to avoid all this futzing around with protected, unmovable, special files.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm going to find somebody with windows 98 and try it. I can't find the files in my laptop, so I think it's still in my disk.

I found a file name EvS 1kb still in my activation disk. Is this it?? What files should be in my activation disk??

Hi Dan,

don't mess with the master floppy. There is nothing you can do if the license isn't on the floppy, and you can't see it with normal disk tools.

Try to find the license files on the PC.
On Win 2000 I select Start\Run and then type in "command" (I dont know if it is exactly the same on XP).
A command prompt screen should appear.
Enter "attrib evrsi.sys". It should return "SHR EVRSI.SYS"
Enter "attrib 386swap.par". It should return "A SHR 386SWAP.PAR"
If the files are there, but the attribs are wrong:
For EVRSI.SYS: Enter "attrib +shr evrsi.sys" to set them right.

If you can't find the files, then the only thing left is a reset from Rockwell.
Try to get your old company to transfer the ownership to you. Or maybe if you have some kind of receipt from your old company, you can get Rockwell to transfer the license.

Good luck. :)

Just one more thing:

as exiled said, maybe the activation is still on the master floppy.

Can you see it with the MOVE utility or the RESET utility ?

Try to install the utilities on another computer, and use MOVE or RESET on that computer to see if it is an issue with your laptop.

Thanks for all your help. I think the activation is totally lost. I found a laptop with activation in it. I'm having trouble moving the activation to my master disk. Computer says "activation file corrupt. Invalid serial #" This is the same master disk. Maybe because Allen Bradley reset this disk month ago that I'm having this problem?? I'm not having good luck with this at all. Siemens is so easy without activation disk. Thanks guys.

I recently had the same problem. I had upgraded from the net to version 6.0 of the RSLogix 500 software. I then deleted the old version 5.40 and my key did not work. I reloaded 5.40 and she worked, I again upgraded to 6.0 and again it worked. It appears that internet upgrades can mess with the requirement of keeping the old software on your system.

Note: Version 5.40 does not support the 1746-HSCE2 card except in mode 1. If you need mode 4 upgrade.

I just updated the sofeware from Allen bradley activation disk 2.00.00 to latest version with one year support for $371.00 I think this the best way to go. I guess this is better than nothing, since I got the software for free. I hope this really pays off learning PLC. Thanks for all you help guys.