Zebra Printer GX420t

Damain06

Good day all I have a slight problem. I have to print the date and time on a label using Zebra Gx420t printer. The language is ZPL. I read that it has a built in real time clock. When I try to print the date and time only the zpl code gets printed. I enabled the RTC clock on the printer but still unable to print the date and time. does any one have a sample code to print date and time using ZPL commands.
Thanx in advance.
Regards Damain

Hmm, The Gx420t has the RTC as an option when the printer was purchased. You'll have to verify that it indeed HAS that option.

That said, Usually you would tell it to print RTC info using the
^FC command before a ^FD command.

Thanx for the reply.Here is the code I use to print the time

^XA^FT435,638^A0B,39,38^FC%,{,#^FDTime: %d/%m/%y %H:%M:%S^FS^XZ
when the label gets printed there is no date and time only this (Time: %d/%m/%y %H:%M:%S) gets printed on the label. do you perhaps know if there is a ZPL command that you can print the computers date and time?
Thanx in advance

Well, first you should probably change that command a bit

You probably don't have the secondary and third timers defined, So the portion that is
^FC%,{,#
should just be
^FC%

If that still doesn't print the time, you probably don't have the RTC option on the printer.

You said you have a computer involved? What is generating the ZPL and sending it to the printer?

Using Zdesigner, you can check to see if you have the RTC option using direct communiction and executing the following command
! U1 getvar "rtc.date"

If you get a date back, you have the option, if you don't or it errors, you don't.

the printer is connected to a production IPC and if the part is good it gets a label with some data on it but not the date and time, so I need to get date and time on the label. the ZPL code is saved in a txt file on the pc and gets sent to the printer. below is the code in the txt file that gets sent to the printer

^XA~TA000~JSN^LT20^MMT^MNW^MTT^PON^PMN^LH0,0^JMA^PR2,2^MD20^JUS^LRN^CI0^XZ
^XA^LL0200

^FT25,10^A0N,20,22^FD[1]^FS
^FT25,40^A0N,16,16^FDMod:[4]^FS
^FO25,45^GB120,0,2^FS
^FT25,70^A0N,16,14^FD[6]^FS
^FT85,70^A0N,16,14^FD[7]^FS
^FT25,100^A0N,16,14^FDSerial:^FS
^FT75,100^A0N,16,18^FD[9]^FS

^BY96,96^FT152,95^BXN,4,200,22,22,1
^FH\^FD[14]^FS
^PQ1,0,1,Y^XZ

Ah, Well yes, in theory whatever software you use to generate the label info could simply insert time into the file from the computer clock.

For example, I use Bartender to do this. Legi or Nicelabel, or any software like it would do that automatically.

Could also do it from many SCADA packages, especially if they have a scripting language.

Edit: No, ZPL is executed on the printer and knows not about the PC.

OK thanks for the reply. The problem is that I am unable to access the software on the pc that is generating the label info since the Scada that is running is a exe (like a VB, or labview).
Might have to get a printer with a built in RTC. (Tried the GX420t and the GK420d).