Ignition SCADA - OEMs

Manglemender

Hello All,

I've not tried Ignition yet but it looks good.

It looks to be aimed at factory level automation so I was wondering if anyone is using it in an OEM type environment with PLCs from Rockwell, Siemens etc. ?

Nick

Not and OEM but an Integrator...

Ignition is definitely a factory automation solution more so than an OEM solution. However they have introduced the "Edge" variation of Ignition to help address stand-alone systems like OEM solutions however I don't think they have quite hit the balance of features and pricing to be competitive on systems that are dependent on local HMIs. The cost of the IPC required to run the Ignition software on top of the Edge license usually makes it a cost prohibitive option.

But it really depends on the actual use case for a valid comparison, if the plant the OEM equipment is going into has an Ignition installation, then probably make something like Edge an option.

Not and OEM but an Integrator...

The cost of the IPC required to run the Ignition software on top of the Edge license usually makes it a cost prohibitive option.

But it really depends on the actual use case for a valid comparison, if the plant the OEM equipment is going into has an Ignition installation, then probably make something like Edge an option.

Thanks for the response. Many of the machines we build are in the $2M+ bracket and we are buying IPCs and SCADA licenses already so it may not be out of the question if it can offer an advantage.

Nick

For small applications, not requiring a Historian, many PanelPC's and other PC devices have version of Ignition onboard already.

If you need special capabilities, like historians, contact IA's sales people. They can come up with reasonably priced packages that are not the full Unlimited version, or Edge.

They are changing the core platform pricing as discussed here: https://page.inductiveautomation.com/pricing-updates-2021

Note edge is limited to two device instances, you can bolt on more, but you'd soon reach the point where the full version makes more sense. Especially considering all drivers are included as standard in the near future.

I use Edge on stand-alone machines. Note buying the license from a partner like OnLogic is cheaper than you can buy it off IA, yes you're paying for it slightly in the hardware, but it's good reliable hardware so a vote from me.

Nick

[FONT=&quot]If your machines are connected or could be, then Ignitions enterprise functions could make remote management / upgrades / support etc a breeze.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Theres a few UK integrators and we are all friendly and not pushy for sales so happy to chat if you have questions.[/FONT]