Bar Coding Printing

MajorFault

Looking for hardware suggestions for an application.

I need to a print bar code and 30 and 40 characters of product data on an adhesive label. Data will come from ControlLogix L63 processor. I can transfer data over tcp/ip or ControlNet. Labels will be printed and applied to pieces of OSB travelling on a conveyor at 350fpm. I have used label printers from IDTechnologies in the past but am not happy with their perfromance or support.
Has anyone out there had good luck with a different label printer in a similiar application?
Thanks!

Labels should be in the 2" x 3" ballpark. This application would entail 3 seperate label printers each doing 18,000 to 20,000 in a 24 hour period.

Sato and Zebra both make industrial barcode printers. I've only ever used Zebra, but I've always heard very positive reviews of Sato.

I've used ID Technologies, Willet (defunct), and Universal applicator machines with Zebra print engines.

I've honestly only really had decent reliability from the ID Tech applicators. I agree the support sucks though, and their marketing and sales is a total scam. A west coast rep was willing to sell us an applicator for $2K less than an east coast rep. selling the same model...

For a 2x3" label at 12 inches per second, plus application time, I'd be willing to guesstimate the speed at up to 30-40 labels per minute. (if you can present your target for application that fast).

30*60*24 = 43,200
40*60*24 = 57,600

Even with mandatory downtime for label changes and print head maintenance you should easily be able to hit your target of 10-12K in a 24 hour period.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Print+and+Apply

This google search seems to have a ton of hits for other companies providing label applicators.

The one thing about your application that is going to be tricky is the speed at which the target is zipping by. I've never really seen any of these applicators used in applications where the target was passing by any faster than 120 fpm. I would be interested to see how these held up at 350fpm.

Sato print engines are very reliable, also take a look at what markem has to offer.

Can you only buy the print engines from Zebra? I need a tamp or tamp/blow applicator also. Not sure if I will have to go through an integrator to get everything I need.

Can you only buy the print engines from Zebra? I need a tamp or tamp/blow applicator also. Not sure if I will have to go through an integrator to get everything I need.

Most outfits that sell applicators sell their units with the print engine, and they usually give you a choice of whose printer you want to use.

The two main print engines that I hear about being used are Zebra and Sato, but I believe Avery and Datamax also make print engines.