Schneider/Modicon

travispedley

We got a project for a small machine, customer has requested Schneider/Modicon for PLC/HMI. I haven't used any of it in several decades.

Any experts out there that can tell me what model PLC/HMI/Software I need to look at to replace what I thought would be a CompactLogix?

Need Ethernet/IP Scanner, maybe 16 in/out on the rack. The rest of the IO would be over EIP (a couple of valvestacks and a Fanuc R30 controller)
Low-ish IO count, a few pallet stops and a handful of cylinders and grippers.
The bulk of the programming will be in the Fanuc, the PLC will just handle the cylinders/conveyor/IO passthrough to the Fanuc.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS. Asked customer if they had any PLC's/HMI's in house so i could keep it somewhat the same, their answer was, and I quote, "I dunno, we just need Schneider"... It is for a Schneider Plant FYI.

Last edited:
I'd ask if they are using anything comparable already in the plant?

We got a project for a small machine, customer has requested Schneider/Modicon for PLC/HMI. I haven't used any of it in several decades.

Any experts out there that can tell me what model PLC/HMI/Software I need to look at to replace what I thought would be a CompactLogix?

Need Ethernet/IP Scanner, maybe 16 in/out on the rack. The rest of the IO would be over EIP (a couple of valvestacks and a Fanuc R30 controller)
Low-ish IO count, a few pallet stops and a handful of cylinders and grippers.
The bulk of the programming will be in the Fanuc, the PLC will just handle the cylinders/conveyor/IO passthrough to the Fanuc.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS. Asked customer if they had any PLC's/HMI's in house so i could keep it somewhat the same, their answer was, and I quote, "I dunno, we just need Schneider"... It is for a Schneider Plant FYI.

I'd ask if they are using anything comparable already in the plant?

Tried that.

I've been using the IDEC FC6A for months now and I love it. We needed both Ethernet and serial printing, Ethernet and USB communications and a lot of memory. Recently I learned that the Schneider TM221 is supposed to be from a similar development. However, I am not familiar with the programming software. After looking at the manuals, it looks to be fairly intuitive.

I've been using the IDEC FC6A for months now and I love it. We needed both Ethernet and serial printing, Ethernet and USB communications and a lot of memory. Recently I learned that the Schneider TM221 is supposed to be from a similar development. However, I am not familiar with the programming software. After looking at the manuals, it looks to be fairly intuitive.

I'm not really worried about the programming at this point, I have no idea what processor or hmi series to buy, or if they'll work together, if they have Ethernet/IP capabilites and so on. I have a call in to the local rep, but he said he's tied up at the moment, so while I'm waiting for a call back I was just asking if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

With the "replace what I thought would be a CompactLogix" statement, I would assume that the replacement has to be as powerful. Therefore, the replacement would be a lateral move. If the TM221 has the same features as the FC6A, then it would be a good start.

Sorry, I have so little knowledge of their lineup, I didn't realize the TM221 was their nano plc. Threw me a little with the 'IDEC FC6A'. Thought you were recommending an IDEC lol.

Looking at the capabilities, the 241 may be a better fit. But still waiting for a call back from Schneider and their local rep.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

The M251 is cheap, made for small machines, and has Ethernet/IP.

It's programmed with SoMachine, a software based on CodeSys which include the Vijeo Software in the same package (for the HMI)

I talked to Schneider and told them what I was doing, they recommended a M340.
Getting a quote on it now. List prices are shocking. Especially the software for a one-off machine. Guess I'll have to start pimping Modicon until I get my ROI.

I talked to Schneider and told them what I was doing, they recommended a M340.
Getting a quote on it now. List prices are shocking. Especially the software for a one-off machine. Guess I'll have to start pimping Modicon until I get my ROI.

The M340 is their standard PLC, for mid sized to big machines and middle sized lines.

I wouldn't recommand it for your application. Especially, it needs a 600-800€ additional Ethernet/IP card while the M251 has built in Ethernet/IP capacity.

I like the M340/Unity software much more than the M251/So Machine, but for an application with 16 inputs/ouptuts and just a conveyor and the link with the robot, it would cost more with no benefits.

In our company, I had a project with 250 I/O, 2 robots, several barcode, printers, a drop section , 2 safety plcs, communications with several machines, I used the M340. A colleague with one Fanuc robot as the main actor, choose the M251 as it was much less expansive.

It may be worth to use the M340 if you plan to install several Schneider PLCs in different type of projects.

I would second the M251. Or the brick version M241. The M340 sounds like it will be overkill for this application. SoMachine (M241/M251) software is less expensive than Unity for M340. SoMachine also includes HMI (Vijeo).

Thanks for the suggestions. Finally got up with one of the maintenance guys at the plant, he said they use the M340 series currrently, so just to keep current with them, we selected the M340 as well, overkill or not. At least we have some room for expansion.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I look forward to asking y'all how to connect and configure the dang thing once i get it in house.