One button, 5 PLC's

DannyD303

Would like some direction please. I have 5 plcs running 5 different machines that all do the same thing. My original plan was to use one screen to control all 5. I've been using the multi-state indicators to display the settings for the 5 but no I don't know how to change the set points of one machine using one PB.

Anyone have any ideas?

AB PanelView Plus 7

You can use a Macro.

In the Explorer Window under the Logic & Control Folder you'll find the Macro's. Right Click and select New:
Create a Macro To Write Values To All 5 PLC's. Give it a Name and save.
Macro.PNG
Then use Macro Button to Activate Macro.
You will find it under Objects>Advanced>Macro.
Macro Buton.jpg

You can use the variable option to choose the Macro. But that would require an expression to determine which machine to choose. Or a tag with a value.

IF Machine 1 then "Machine1_Macro" Else
IF Machine 2 then "Machine2_Macro" Else
IF Machine 3 then "Machine3_Macro" Else
IF Machine 4 then "Machine4_Macro" Else "Machine5_Macro"

Just use the quotations marks to define info as a string.

you'll find the variable option check box under the Macro Name on the General Tab

Put your expression in the connection tab. Or you could use a string Tag and select Macro Name.

Last edited:
I have 5 plcs running 5 different machines that all do the same thing. My original plan was to use one screen to control all 5. I've been using the multi-state indicators to display the settings for the 5 but no I don't know how to change the set points of one machine using one PB.
All 5 machines may have different setpoints
Why don't you use 5 Numeric Input objects, each one pointing to the respective setpoint tag in each PLC?

in my opinion, this practice is not allowed.
controlling multiple machines located in different areas of the plant that you cannot possibly see at the same time is asking for trouble.

you are at machine #1 and a maintenance technician is working inside machine #5 and you start it, and he loses his arm or even worse is a major issue. Osha will have a field day.

refer to NFPA 79, Industrial Standard for Industrial machinery.

even then, you must get a risk assessment done.
this involves management, safety, engineering, maintenance, and you, maybe others. any one of these can shoot you down.
you must ask what if for anything you can thing of and you better have an answer, no worry about it later or that's a in a billion chance, YOU must answer / plan for it right then.

james

Use 5 different screens. If you make a change, copy and paste the screen, find and replace PLC name.

The person behind you doesn't want to dig through your macros trying to find what the hell is going on, they want to say, "where is tag X from PLC Y?", and then sort it.

James, if you have a tech that can get in a machine without isolating anything, and is at risk of losing his arm, there is something seriously wrong with the health and safety there! "Oh, I could see the start button and no one was around?"

If you are interested in a different option then you should consider using parameter files. If you are only changing set points for one machine at a time then parameter files would also work well. Originally I thought you wanted to write to all 5 at the same time. That's why I suggested the Macro Button. But with parameter files you would use the same screen and develop a parameter file for each machine.

If you are interested in a different option then you should consider using parameter files. If you are only changing set points for one machine at a time then parameter files would also work well. Originally I thought you wanted to write to all 5 at the same time. That's why I suggested the Macro Button. But with parameter files you would use the same screen and develop a parameter file for each machine.

I back this, then you only have less screens.

You could make an overview screen that shows all 5 machines status and auto start/stop of sorts that goes into an auto start routine with independent interlocks kicking it out of auto.

As mentioned, you should be able to see the machine but lock out tag out procedure should mechanically stop the motors/machines from starting. I also recommend having inputs for the disconnects for interlocks for easy troubleshooting of why something can't start.

in my opinion, this practice is not allowed.
controlling multiple machines located in different areas of the plant that you cannot possibly see at the same time is asking for trouble.

james

I agree with this !!
We once build a similar system which consisted out of three identical units. Each unit contained a separate HMI terminal. Every terminal showed the same (central) application which contained separate pages for each module. Since the modules where identical, the pages were identical as well (execpt for the page-title).
It was designed that way because ultimately the machine was going to be operated by a single operator.
We however overlooked the commissioning of the machine which took place with multiple engineers working on the different units.
Although safety was covered with separate safety-circuits, it created so much confusion and irritation that we changed it in the first week into a system with three independent HMI-applications.

As far as i remember, in european legislation a control-center must be positioned such that the operator has maximum visibility on the machine / installation.

Kind regards.

Make a landing screen that lets you select which machine you are operating. Use a goto screen button on that screen to open the HMI with a parameter that selects the appropriate communication topic. Pass that same parameter to each new goto screen button.

That way you have one screen that can point to all the machines with full functionality.

Last edited: