Multistate Indicator in FactoryTalk View ME

Hi everyone!
Need yor help.
Normally we use Multistate Indicator for different values of ONE tag.
But is it possible to use one Multistate Indicator for several different tags? (I don't mean expression).

Example: I need to indicate statement of valve (CLOSED/OPENED). These signals are getting from limit switches. How to do:

If CLOSED = 1 then "State 0"
If OPENED = 1 then "State 1"

Thanks.

Use your limit switches to move a value into a DINT. Then use the DINT as Multi-state connection

I do not think you can connect multistate indicator to more than one tag.

What you could do is map your digital states to DINT type tag bits
So your valve closed = bit 0
valve opened = bit 1
Connect this DINT type of tag to multistate indicator and configure your states
State values will be like 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32...

Think you may need to rethink your way of doing it, looks like it will be a problem to do it the way you say.
I’m assuming your setup is something like the below, if its not then please correct me.

1. you have a valve that can be commanded to two positions (Open and Closed)
  2. you have two limit switches, one at each position, (Open limit switch and Closed limit switch)
  3. You want the Factory talk to display the position of the valve. (Open and Closed)

Your intended operation would be something like this:

1. Start from Closed
    [*]Valve is in the closed position.
    [*]Closed limit switch is On.
    [*]Open limit switch is Off
    [*]Display state is “Valve Closed”​
  2. Command to open
    [*]Valve starts to move from Closed position to open position
    [*]Closed limit switch is turn off.
    [*]Open limit switch is still Off
    [*]Display state remains “Valve Closed”​
  3. Valve completes open command
    [*]Valve arrives at open position
    [*]Closed limit switch is still off
    [*]Open Limit switch turns on
    [*]Display State changes to “Valve open”​

Essentially you want the display to show the position the valve last arrived at and remain in that state until the valve arrives at another position.
It is possible to set this up but I would not recommend it.

If you need to do it this way then how I would do it is to use another tag that holds the display state and have that tag set/reset or seal/unseal whenever the corresponding limit switches is turned on. Then have that tag drive the indicator.

Why it is not good: you have two limit switches that each can be two values High and low. This works out to 4 states:

State 0: Valve is in between positions
State 1: Valve is closed
State 2: Valve is open
State 3: Valve sensor is fail

In your method you are throwing away two of the states, that is good information you could have but just are throwing away.

What happens if the valve starts to slip and open a bit after closing, your display still says closed but really its partially open?
What if your limit switch gets stuck and you have them both on? Why not catch that error immediately?

cwal61 and chopin have it right, convert the sensor inputs to a dint state tag, use the states to drive the indicator.

You can do it, and it's just as easy as the OP suggested. You write an expression in the tag connection, and then you just have to get your syntax right.
Code:
If {[PLC_Shortcut]Closed_Tag} == 1 Then 0
Else if {[PLC_Shortcut]Open_Tag} == 1 Then 1
Else 2
Then set the multistate indicator so that state 0 shows closed, state 1 shows open, and state 2 shows in motion.

From memory, use a multi-state overlaying a momentary pushbutton.

The pushbutton triggers a value in the PLC (make sure to have a one shot) and the multi-state tied to if it's on/off.

You can do it, and it's just as easy as the OP suggested. You write an expression in the tag connection, and then you just have to get your syntax right.
Code:
If {[PLC_Shortcut]Closed_Tag} == 1 Then 0
Else if {[PLC_Shortcut]Open_Tag} == 1 Then 1
Else 2
Then set the multistate indicator so that state 0 shows closed, state 1 shows open, and state 2 shows in motion.

ASF, thanks!
Exactly what is needed!(y)