SLC 5/05 and Rexroth HCS01.1E drives on Ethernet/IP

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi again :)

We're trying to replace two old Allen-Bradley servo drives with Rexroth HCS01.1E Ethernet/IP drives. We've purchased an SLC 5/05 processor to go in the existing SLC rack.

The processor is a 1747-L552 Ser B Rev 4 with 1747-OS501 Ser C Frn 6 - see the attached photo of the label.

We're currently testing on the bench, trying to get the processor and drives talking. I've entered four EEM instructions one for send and one for receive on each drive. When I try to verify the project offline I get errors for each of the EEM instructions "EEM instruction is not valid on the currently selected processor!-> 1747-552B/C 5/05 CPU - 32K Mem. OS501 Series C FRN 3-9". Also the EEM instruction is displayed with a '?' in the Control Block Length field and it isn't editable - I thought that this should auto-populate with the number 58?

A quick google tends to suggest that we need the processor to have a firmware revision level of 10. Can anyone confirm? Is it possible to upgrade the firmware to revision 10?

Also, can anyone point me to information on setting up the EEM instructions and what the Class, Instance & Attribute fields should be for the Rexroth HCS01.1E drives?

20180515_100026.jpg EEM errors.jpg

A quick google tends to suggest that we need the processor to have a firmware revision level of 10. Can anyone confirm? Is it possible to upgrade the firmware to revision 10?

See the attached snip from the RSLogix 500 help file on the EEM Instruction.

I have never used a Servo Drive so maybe I am speaking out my A$$ here but Ken Roach (a man who's opinion many of us trust) once wrote a very interesting post about controlling a Powerflex VFD via EIP with a Processor that doesnt have Implicit messaging. I think you may be in the same boat with a servo drive and a SLC 5/05.

Take a look at this post http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=82719

EEM Snip.jpg

We flashed the processor to version 11 firmware and it now accepts the EEM instruction without complaint. Unfortunately, at the moment, I have no clear idea of how to configure the EEM instruction to get the SLC talking to the drives. We've received an EDS file from Rexroth with no explanation of what to do with it. I've opened it in Notepad but can't see anything that helps me.

I know that EDS files are used with RSLinx so it can talk to the device. I have never used a EDS with a SLC model of controllers. Only the Compact and ControlLogix line of PLC. So it may be useless with a 5/05.

Maybe someone with more experience than me in this area will chime in and help.

I saw that Yaskawa application note, tarik1978. It was helpful in pointing us in the direction of using EEM but doesn't really help us to configure the instruction for our specific Rexroth drives.

I know that EDS files are used with RSLinx so it can talk to the device. I have never used a EDS with a SLC model of controllers. Only the Compact and ControlLogix line of PLC. So it may be useless with a 5/05.

Maybe someone with more experience than me in this area will chime in and help.

Not only were we given an EDS file by our Rexroth vendor but I also received one as part of the package when I downloaded the firmware V.11 update for the 1747-L552 so I've got to think that they must be relevant/usable in some way to a SLC 5/05.

At the suggestion of our Rexroth vendor, we were daisy-chaining the PLC onto the end of the two drives ethernet cabling, i.e. cable from drive 1 to drive 2, cable from drive 2 to the PLC. The RJ45 port LEDs weren't showing any signs of life, even when I triggered the EEM instruction (which was erroring on a D5 timeout error).

I've just connected the three devices using a switch and the EEM is now executing without error. The issue now is that the data I received from drive 1 doesn't appear to be the right value for the drive parameter I was aiming for.

I was trying to get parameter S-0-0051 (position value 1) which the drive thinks is set to 0.0000 (in 4 bytes). In the PLC it's arriving as N9:0=1 & N9:1=29730. I've COPied it to a float and its value is 1.334961e-40, which is pretty close to zero to be fair. I'm just surprised it's not coming out as exactly zero if I'm reading the right parameter.

Attached is a screenshot of the EEM instruction setup dialog. If someone could take a look at it to see if it looks correct, I'd be much obliged

Screenshot.jpg

I've attempted to configure the EEM instruction to receive parameter S-0-0051 from the drive, in accordance with the attached Rexroth manual excerpt.

The settings for the EEM's Service (Generic Get Attribute Single), Service Code (E hex) and Attribute (3) are little more than guesses. I saw the service code set to E somewhere, possibly the Yaskawa document that Bullzi pointed to. I think the Class (100 dec) is correct and I'm pretty sure that the Instance (51 dec) is correct.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I think I see where you're getting Instance 51 (decimal):

S-0-00051

Its an "S" type, so 32768 x 0 = 0
It's a Group 0 parameter, so 4096 x 0 = 0
and its Parameter 51, so the value is just 51.

Try Attribute 7 "Operating Data", instead of Attribute 3 "Display mode of the parameter"

Mr. Roach - I think I love you!

I changed the attribute setting to 7 and the PLC data changed to N9:0 = 0 & N9:1 = 0. To prove I was hitting the correct parameter, I pointed the EEM at S-0-0057 (the in-position window) and set it to 12.3456 in the drive. In the PLC I received N9:0 = -7616 & N9:1 = 1, which, by my calculations, when assembled as a 32-bit integer, comes to 123,456.

Thank you! I'm sure there'll be more questions in the near future!

I'm now also writing to the drives. It required minimal changes to the EEM control block, basically just populating the (Send Data) fields instead of the (Receive Data) fields. The Class stayed the same at 100 and the Attribute stayed at 7. Just the Instance needed calculating (using the same method) to point to a writeable parameter.

The Rexroth drives seem to be best controlled in what they describe as "freely configurable mode" using the "real-time channel". I think this is probably another way of describing implicit messaging. I am right in my assertion that the SLC 5/05 cannot do implicit messaging, aren't I?

I'm hoping I can use the explicit messaging to write to the control word (P-0-4077), read from the status word (P-0-4078) and read & write to whichever feedback and command values we need. Thoughts? There'll probably only be 2 or 3 parameters transferred in either direction. The drive will probably need to be in some mode other than freely configurable though. Our application is fairly simple - a tube end-former - we'll just give it a position & velocity value and tell it to go and the drive will tell us when it's in position and what its position is.

Could someone be kind enough to take a look at the Rexroth manual, pdf page 113 of 1176 (printed page 111 of 1173) to see if you concur, please?

https://md.boschrexroth.com/modules/BRMV2PDFDownload-internet.dll/R911338673_01.pdf?db=brmv2&lvid=1182572&mvid=13361&clid=20&sid=ABE64FA96E9D8C136F0C262C8CECC9E2.borex-tc&sch=M&id=13361,20,1182572

You are correct. The 5/05 can not do Implicit Messaging. Only the ControLogix/CompactLogix line of PLC (In the AB Family) can do Implicit Messaging.

Now the question is do you need Implicit Messaging? Like I said I have never used a Servo Drive before. I am looking at this as a learning experience. If you only need to send and receive a few items maybe no.

A few questions:
1. Can you write and read the items you need now with your 5/05?
2. Are there any Safety issues that you are not able to overcome with the set up you have? What happens if the communications link goes down?
3. Does Rexroth have a Add on Profile (AOP) and a Add on Instruction (AOI) available for download for use with a Control/CompactLogix PLC?

Knowing some of these items might help plot a path forward.