CCW Developer edition

matthew1

Hello all,

Starting my first small project with the Micro 800 series.

I searched the forums but didn't really find an answer to my question.

Can any one list the adantage of the developer edition?

I understand that the key differences are UDT and online edits.

At this time neither of those are a need for me as this is a custom one off small application. >30 IO points.

Thought to reach out to the pros and see if theres any advantage being missed.

Thank you!

I dont think it cost very much so it may be worth it for nothing more than to have a good working relationship with your RA rep but other than what you listed and below there is not much of an advantage... IF I was troubleshooting or running start-ups I would have the developer edition for the 'on-line' if for nothing else

Developer Edition
Standard plus additional features including
full version of Micro800 Simulator and Archive
Manager, as well as extensive Micro800 controller
programming capabilities for an enhanced user
experience.

If this is your first time working with CCW, I would get the feel for how everything works before spending the money.

You can always upgrade.

To me the Dev. Edition is a must have.
To not have UDT would make some projects look like mush and to not have online edits makes me feel like I'm working with a Micrologix.
I just went through one of those nightmares. Old MLX1500 to a PV550 over DH485. Had to re-commision an old machine that they didn't want to upgrade, just run. Every time I wanted to plug in my old WINXP PC I had to unplug the HMI, change the comms mode, re-start my driver in Linx, reconnect, go online, make the change, re-set the comms to the configured method, re-connect HMI, repeat. UGHHH. Not to mention, I don't have the source code, only the uploaded code with no descriptions symbols or documentation. With servo onboard at that. Never again! Online edits or I replace the PLC for something this circa this decade! Sorry to go OT but kind of relatable as the whole time all I wanted was the ability to change things, even timers online.

Hello all,

Starting my first small project with the Micro 800 series.

I searched the forums but didn't really find an answer to my question.

Can any one list the adantage of the developer edition?

I understand that the key differences are UDT and online edits.

At this time neither of those are a need for me as this is a custom one off small application. >30 IO points.

Thought to reach out to the pros and see if theres any advantage being missed.

Thank you!

I think that free version lets you program in Ladder only. If you need Structured Text you need to get developer edition. I would get developer just to be able to work online. It is very cheep compare to the other Rockwell software.

The free version has all languages.

The UDTs in the paid version might be helpful.

The online editting is disappointing. It takes just a long to do an online edit as it does to re-download the whole program. If it is not important to keep the maching running while you make an edit you won't need this feature.

The online editting is disappointing. It takes just a long to do an online edit as it does to re-download the whole program. If it is not important to keep the maching running while you make an edit you won't need this feature.

Good to know... are you running V12?

The free version has all languages.

The UDTs in the paid version might be helpful.

The online editing is disappointing. It takes just a long to do an online edit as it does to re-download the whole program. If it is not important to keep the machine running while you make an edit you won't need this feature.

If you allocate the extra memory to the changing of modes, run to program then this time is greatly reduced. Should be the max bytes by default but its the minimum.

Thank you all for the input.

I dont think it cost very much so it may be worth it for nothing more than to have a good working relationship with your RA rep but other than what you listed and below there is not much of an advantage... IF I was troubleshooting or running start-ups I would have the developer edition for the 'on-line' if for nothing else[/QUOTE]

That is kind of where im at. Except we host licenses. With 40+ machines pulling licenses and CCW is used quite a bit for VFD's having one license is impracticle. We have a very good relationship with RA to say the least.

To me the Dev. Edition is a must have.
To not have UDT would make some projects look like mush and to not have online edits makes me feel like I'm working with a Micrologix.
I just went through one of those nightmares. Old MLX1500 to a PV550 over DH485. Had to re-commision an old machine that they didn't want to upgrade, just run. Every time I wanted to plug in my old WINXP PC I had to unplug the HMI, change the comms mode, re-start my driver in Linx, reconnect, go online, make the change, re-set the comms to the configured method, re-connect HMI, repeat. UGHHH. Not to mention, I don't have the source code, only the uploaded code with no descriptions symbols or documentation. With servo onboard at that. Never again! Online edits or I replace the PLC for something this circa this decade! Sorry to go OT but kind of relatable as the whole time all I wanted was the ability to change things, even timers online.

yes the 1200 and 1500 ML can burn for all I care. Really dont like those because of what you siad above.

I think that free version lets you program in Ladder only. If you need Structured Text you need to get developer edition. I would get developer just to be able to work online. It is very cheep compare to the other Rockwell software.

V12 supports all languages.

Thanks All!