Should You Be Registered To Post?

Should Someone Be Registered Before Posting?

• No, It is not neccessary

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • Yes, WITH e-mail address verification

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Yes, but no verifcation neccessary

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Who Cares?

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
Should some one be registered before posting?

Should they be registered to reply?

Should they have a verifiable e-mail addreess?

Sounds like a lot of extra work just to post, but may slow down the student "flip-flop" and "what is unitary" questions, specially if info on searching topics is provided on the registering page. Well, we do know how often the read this before posting is read.

Might also cut down on those who post a question and are never heard from again.

I don't think it is too hard to set up a "robot" program that vrifies an e-mail address. Might be a little extra up-front work for Phil, but after set-up, should be maintenance free.

Anyway...it is just a poll to get YOUR opinion, and to see if the majority once again disagrees with me.

regards.....casey

fair enough but i voted no...

it bothers me to sign up when i need an answer if i don't
plan to visit the place in the future. i cannot ask others
to do differently.

if student comes to this place just to get one answer that's fine.
if he needs more and finds this place useful and keeps comming,
even better.

this forum is about sharing so it shouldn't be too restrictive
if every new visitor was expected to sign up, have validated
email address or even asked to contribute before they can be
helped, this forum wouldn't be such great place, have so many
visitors and diverse topics (homework, rant, product info,
control panels and service trips from hell etc.)

i like it the way it is ;)

Have to agree with panic mode.
Perhaps we could add a FAQ section instead
What does "brick", modular, rack, mean?
Flip-flop?
Elevator and traffic light questions etc...

Just my $1.298 worth.

Ken

Hi panic mode and Ken:

I do not particulaly like to register, log-in too e-mail, sometimes wait for the e-mail to come, submit the reply e-mail, go back to the original site, etc.

Yes, it is kind of a pain.

A while back, out of curiousity, I would click on the people listed for birthdays if I didn't recognize their name, to see when they posted last, and found a goodly per centage that hadn't posted in years.

After I registered here, I probably only came back 2 or 3 times in the next several months. I think I may even be registered several times in past years, with long absenses inbetween. Normally I use other "nicknames" first, but casey and frontier were already take, along with another one or two.

When I originally "polled" whether students should have their own posting section, I was overwhelmed with those who said no. However, in the last 6 or 8 months, several or them have changed their minds.

Anyway, a question for debate, or at least friendly discussion.

Thanks for the post.

best regards.....casey

I agree with Panic too.
I used to surf around here for pretty useful information when I was still a student, especially during my final year, early this year. Now I'm working, and this forum is still very useful to me!
But sometimes I believe there are some people (maybe students) who took advantage of this situation and post funny, unrelated or simply-lazy topics. But they are just a handful, right?
So, I vote no.

regards
Sherine T.

Just a handful?

Sometimes it seems like more then that.

But the same question, 2 or 3 times a month???

As I have ranted before, What, if anything, do they teach?

By registering, at least you know that when some posts several times in a thread, it is at least the same person.

On another thread, I have my doubts. It seems like 3 or 4 different people authored posts using the same name, who was a guest.

In another day or two, we should see several more comments, probably most of them will say registration not neccesary. And we'll see more flip-flop and unitary questions, and many more "what is a plc?".

regards.....casey

I have to vote "no" as well. The way I look at it, unregistered posters who post poorly thought-out questions can be easily ignored, and the people who respond are probably the bigger problem. I think if someone received no answer at all to a post, then he would either go away, or put some thought into a better question. It's just a message board, and no one can be bothered unless they let someone bother them.

kc9ih said:
On another thread, I have my doubts. It seems like 3 or 4 different people authored posts using the same name, who was a guest.

In another day or two, we should see several more comments, probably most of them will say registration not neccesary. And we'll see more flip-flop and unitary questions, and many more "what is a plc?".

O.k...point taken. But maybe, in future if you should see peeps posting questions asking "What is a PLC?" etc, you can choose to ignore them. Perhaps, have those kind of posts removed.

3 to 4 different people authoring using the same name: They are just trying to be funny. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth the time to answer them. :rolleyes:

regards
Sherine T.

P.S: S7Guy, my sentiments exactly.

Last edited:
I voted no, though I see YES is winning. I don't feel registration would do anything to prevent the 'annoying' questions.

Personally, I think we should require folks to purchase a PLCS.net Tee-shirt before being allowed to post!.. :site:

beerchug

-Eric

Hi Casey,

I'm a newcomer here, but I have spent a good deal of time on a variety of forums, and I have to say that my opinion is pretty much in line with the other respondants. As some parents know, the surest way to discourage activity designed only to gain attention, is to pay it none whatsoever. Few of us seem capable of doing this.

From what I've seen, this forum doesn't have much of a problem with "trolls", "snerts", etc. I ascribe this mainly to the subject matter, as well as the calibre of individual required to simply comprehend the topics discussed. For that reason, I don't see a real need for mandatory registration.

Those that respond to obviously insincere or inappropriate posts need to realize that their response (whatever it might be) is generally the exact thing that these errant posters are seeking. But as long as it all remains more-or-less civil, what's the problem?

Just my
TwoCents.gif

Paula

Last edited:
Casey,

I too have to agree with everyone else. I find the student threads particularly entertaining, and I don't think I would read them if I knew everyone would ignore them. I've seen some pretty eloquent and tactful browbeatings occur in some of the replies and I always get a good laugh. But, this craft is not exclusive and having worked with alot of PLC programmers before I ever got my shot, I was always put off and treated as if I couldn't possibly have the aptitude to handle the complexities of logic. There's no reason to feel you shouldn't help because the question is beneath you or you've answered it before. I do this because I enjoy my job and I see alot of posts that reflect that others enjoy theirs. If you don't want to help, don't. There are no consequences. But, let's not make possible future contributors alienated before they even begin.

As I see it, this forum is all about knowledge sharing. Since I'm involved in knowledge sharing in my job, I happen to know that if you limit the group by any means, the level of knowledge drops beyond imagination, hence does the sharing.

Besides, student questions can be a lot of fun. I always enjoy reading the 'bashing' replies, I sometimes even join in.

For what we are teaching (I'm also kind of a teacher), I know there are a million ways to teach, but only a few have good results. In my company we use the hands-on way and that seems to have good results. I know that schools don't have the luxury to spend the same amount of time to PLCs we do here, so it's obvious a lot of students come here after school to really learn PLCs. What the heck, it keeps my job safe :D .

Kind regards,

I also voted No.

As I see it, this site is all about discussion and information exchange. I could care less who asked a question or if they ever come back. If a question generates discussion, we all stand a chance to learn and share. If a no-name person responds, I simply take that into account when I read the response. If I find a post is not interesting, I simply go on. I don't waste enough time on them for it to matter much.

I like it the way it is. There is not enough "abuse" to warrent a change.

IMHO
Steve