which PLC have free software?

Not most of the PLC's, only the supported ones from their website. Also, you may have to pay a license for the runtime in the PLC itself.

This means that you can program without paying, but if you actually want to run the program in a real environment, the owner of the machine will have to pay the runtime license on the PLC.

I'm not sure about each brands, but Beckhoff for example, carries the license with the PLC itself so it's transparent.

ok cardosocea, this is still complicated. Even I have the money to pay for the runtime, there is no means in our country Ethiopia to commerce with internet or bank to foreign company. Therefore, plc like click are best suited for most of countries in Africa.

Anyways thank you cardosocea I may come back to this website for further question and hope you and others member cooperate as usual