Time Preset/Accm adjustments using Logix 5000

I am just curious as to who else run into this little annoying problem.
In process control, we use timers all the time ie, adjusting filtration cycle timers etc., and the preset and accumulated value needs to be adjusted in either seconds, minutes or hours
Using panelview plus HMI, the timer preset in the logix 5000 are all in milliseconds, and I have to manually convert the hours, minutes and seconds to millisecs. I am wondering if anyone else runs into this problem. Why can't there be a built in time base convertor that automatically adjust the entered hours or minutes to millisec?
Thanks for listening,
George

if you are using V16 or higher, create an add-on instruction that does that for you. I have one built and wouldn't mind sharing it.

Using and AOI is a good idea, but if you have no experience with AOIs you can easily multiply the value you enter in you HMI (second, minutes or hours ) times 1000, 60000, 3600000 respectively and put the results in timer.pre location as desired.

Correct. I have an instruction that will do that or it will convert miliseconds to hours:minutes:seconds. I often use those for "time remaining" functions. Basically there is a bit that you set in the instruction and it will either convert up or convert down automatically.

I've attached two files. One is for converting to mS, and the other is used for showing time remaining from a timer. This useful when wanting to display this on an operator interface.

No ladder required

When creating the numeric entry/display at the Panelview Plus..

For Seconds, where you have the TAG for indicator, just append /1000. Where you have the TAG for the write value, add the expression *1000

For Minutes, where you have the TAG for indicator, just append /60000. Where you have the TAG for the write value, add the expression *60000

For Hours, where you have the TAG for indicator, just append /360000. Where you have the TAG for the write value, add the expression *360000.

That is all there is to it. It is much like the Panelview Standard TAG SCALE function.

I am just curious as to who else run into this little annoying problem.
In process control, we use timers all the time ie, adjusting filtration cycle timers etc., and the preset and accumulated value needs to be adjusted in either seconds, minutes or hours

I'm just curious why the PLC code ever needs to adjust the accumulated time... ?