Connecting to a PLC-5/10

MFalenski

Hi,
I must admit I have limited knowledge of PLCs and their communictaion protocols. I am looking for some help on connecting to two PCL-5/10 units. We seem to have misplaced our DH+ card & cable so our HQ sent us a 1784-PCMK A card, but no cable. We also have a 1784-PCD C card. I am assuming that if we get the correct cable we could use the 1784-PCMK A card to connect to the PLC-5/10? I am also assuming that we can't use the 1784-PCD C card for this? We have all the software, just no way to connect to these directly.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

You are correct about the 1784-PCD card; it is only for DeviceNet.

The 1784-PCMK Series A card requires a 1784-PCM5 Series A cable to connect to the PLC-5/10 (this is a "Classic" PLC-5).

PCMK Series A cards require Series A cables; the wide, flat connector is different from the Series B cables.

The 1784-PCM5 has a "DB9" style connector that looks like an RS-232 serial port but is actually Data Highway Plus on a "Peer Communication Link" (PCL) connector, which is what the connector on the PLC-5/10, 5/12, 5/15, 5/25 controllers is for.