1769-L35E Firmware Update

Hal9000

Hi there,

I have a 1769-L35E cpu that I need to make program changes to. It’s running an old firmware version (12.12). I’d like to update the firmware version to say v20 so that I can use of AOI’s etc.

Can I make such a big firmware step up in one hit? I know that a new CPU is installed with version 1.xx firmware, so I presume I can?

Best regards,

Hi there,

I have a 1769-L35E cpu that I need to make program changes to. It’s running an old firmware version (12.12). I’d like to update the firmware version to say v20 so that I can use of AOI’s etc.

Can I make such a big firmware step up in one hit? I know that a new CPU is installed with version 1.xx firmware, so I presume I can?

Best regards,

You can. The flash tool will apply the upgrade in stages.

Just to reaffirm...

Yes, you can go straight from revision 12 to revision 20 firmware. If you are at revision 11 or earlier then you must first go to revision 12 or 13 before going higher.

Yes, revision 20 is the highest firmware revision that the 1769-L35E CompactLogix controller supports.

Yes, revision 20.019 firmware is the latest available for either Series A or B 1769-L35E controllers.

Also, see here for more info on potential issues when upgrading from older to newer revisions...

52503 - Issues Upgrading ControlLogix® Firmware Version
Access Level: TechConnect

I know that the change in date and time handling after version 16 has caught plenty of folks out in the past, including myself.

Regards,
George