Automation Direct passwords

Karac

I've just recieved a call from a prospective client. It seems they've had a parting of the ways with the guy who was doing their programming and on the way out he stuck a password on their model 440 DL405.

I've never worked on that particular model, and I've never used the password option. Can anyone give me an idea of what is locked - can I even view the ladder logic, or would it be completely battened down?

Also, is there a semi-reasonable way to crack that password - say less than 8 hours? Well, a way other than getting the number of the guy who did it and just buying the number.

Totally locked down

Buy the number or start rewriting. All that AutomationDirect can do is wipe the CPU.

Threats of massive lawsuits sometimes helps.

No one here is going to discuss passwork cracks period. Even waht for sounds like a resonable request. I don't know anything about Automation Direct, but I imagine that you can't go online with it. the company need to persue the person yo changed the password, and if need be start crimminal proceedings against him. That's a form of sabotage.

It can be unlocked but it would be tough to get Automation Direct to do so. The passwords are known by a few integrators so ask around and you may get lucky but they are not as well known as the passwords for AB and some others.

It can be unlocked though trust me.

It can be unlocked though trust me.

I would pay money for it.... I buy a ton of used equipment and every other manufacture has a way to wipe out the memory or you can flash it and clear everything but not AD, I have 10 250-1 and a few 260's in a box waiting until I get a few more, they all have passwords and no way to just clear them, I normally get about 15 then send them all in and have them cleared, its just a pain

all have passwords and no way to just clear them
I know of at least 1 case where I cleared a 450 processor I don't remember it being top secret AD walked me through it! Thinking back I may of been The first person If not one of the first to use one of these? It,s been a while!

Info in the manual says the PW is 8 digits, each one is from 0 to 9. You might try guessing a few common ones such as 00000001 or 12345678. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Info in the manual says the PW is 8 digits, each one is from 0 to 9. You might try guessing a few common ones such as 00000001 or 12345678. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Unless the PLC has to talk with anything else, such as an HMI. In that case, the first "digit" is 'A' followed by seven digits.

I've seen several cases where the PW was A[phone number]. ie. A1234567

YMMV

-rpoet

From the DL-06 AD manual:
Warning: Make sure you remember your password. If you forget your password you will not be able to access the cpu. The Automation Direct plc must be returned to the factory to have the password (along with the ladder project) removed. It is the policy of Automation Direct to require the memory of the plc to be cleared along with the password.

Last edited: