RSLOGIX 500 EVMOVEW lost all Activations.

Bob C

Hi All,

I upgraded RSLogix 500 5.xx to 9.05. I have a general SanDisk jump drive that had several AB activations on it. I have used EVMOVE on this jump drive without any issues from time to time(I don't have a lot of AB controllers). When I went to move the RSLogix 500 activation to use 9.05, I got an error message "Error reading activation file" and all the activations that were there are gone. I see a lot of talk out there regarding the EVRSI.sys file attributes and unfortunately it is no where to be found on the jump drive or PC I was attempting to make the move to. All hidden folders and files are accessible BTW. Any thoughts on what may have happened, or where these activations may live now? Thanks.

Another thing with EVRSI activations:

If you try to move them using Windows 10: EVMove and EVMoveCF will go through the motions, but not create the activation on the new drive - AFTER it has removed them from the old drive - permanently deleting them and then going through Rockwell Tech Supp IF you still have the master key floppy disk, otherwise they are lost for good.

Thank you to all that have replied. Maybe someone will see the reply from Aabeck before attempting the same process with yes... Windows 10. I was able to recover the 500 activation through FTA, but the others are more complicated. Thanks again.

I have seen that error when trying to remove an activation and something RSx is running like RSLinx. Basically its really getting a file sharing violation but its not smart enough to tell you that.

WIN 10 does corrupt the file if you do that but even with older versions to move a key to a USB stick you need to use a different program, Unless they have changed things ....

You need EvMoveCF.exe to move to a USB drive. I don't know if you can get it anymore from RS so if you need it let me know I will send it to you as long as there is no copyright violation and I don't think there is. ( https://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/activations.page )

Another Hint.. For your own use.

Get an old copy of GHOST and run it on XP or maybe Win 7 ( Have not tried that.) I used 5.1c and maybe 2003 I don't remember.

I keep a ghosted drive of the one I use with rslogix 5 that has keys on it so If my key gets corrupted all I have to do is put it in as the master. I keep all data and plc programs on a server so I don't loose anything stored on a local pc.

Make a ghost image of your drive with the key. It will copy it and not corrupt it but it may not work with the newest versions of Ghost and it does not work with any other image software I have tried.

Any way you will know when you boot up with the ghosted drive if it worked or you can put it in as a slave and check it and transfer a key from the slave to your original master.

I imaged my hard drive then moved the key on to the original and ended up with two keys, I did this several times until I had 5 or so extra keys and then moved them to other drives and USB sticks just for some insurance..... I think I have about 7 copies of the original key and when running the move program it recognizes all of them.

Of course you cannot share them but you have a ready backup that way.

You can move a key to a file server so long as the Archive bit is not set on the file - no backup is run on the drive with the key or the file is set to be skipped, and the drive must not be mirrored. There is TID somewhere on Rockwell's site about moving to USB sticks and storing keys on file servers.

Last edited:
When moving activations via Evmovecf on windows7 upward you need to run as administrator otherwise the activations are removed from source drive but don't appear on destination drive.

Steve

Make a ghost image of your drive with the key. It will copy it and not corrupt it but it may not work with the newest versions of Ghost and it does not work with any other image software I have tried.

This works with Acronis. Using Acronis, in combination with VMware Workstation you can do just about anything. Its been a long time since I played around with that stuff though!

Thank you nehpets. I always seem to forget trying to run it as an administrator. I was going to chime in and say it's not just Win10 but Win7 as well. But now I'm going to go try running it as an administrator. Thanks.

Running as administrator works in Windows 7 & 8, but in Windows 10 the activations are never created after deleting the files on the old drive even when running as administrator

Good Reminder

Running as administrator works in Windows 7 & 8, but in Windows 10 the activations are never created after deleting the files on the old drive even when running as administrator

That is a good reminder - RUN AS when you run it..

I hate dongles and software keys. Just gives hackers another Job.
I get software protection but Rockwell keys are too fragile.

Caspian Sage > Make a ghost image of your drive with the key. It will copy it and not corrupt it but it may not work with the newest versions of Ghost and it does not work with any other image software I have tried.

Dear Sage,
I can confirm that that works with Ghost version 8 and I think 11. Nice trick.

Did you ever try it with AOMEI backupper?

Poet.