8 Pin Mini Din connector on Allen Bradley-RS-485 comms

Scott Hill

Hello all,

I joined this forum because I saw there was discussion about the 8 Pin Mini DIN connector on Allen Bradley. I am trying to connect RS-485 comms to other devices. We wish to use the existing port rather than add another Isolator module. We are implementing Modbus using the Micro 830 processor

Standard 8 pin mini dins seem to have different keyways then the connector on the AB PLC. I have a sample of a CUI connector coming to check fit. I noticed that folks here seemed to indicate a standard 8 pin conn will fit... just not as well as the "special" AB connector.

Does anyone know if a standard 8 pin connector will fit the port??

Also, AB sells several cables. The 1763-NC01 is nice but the connector block is huge. The rest seemed to be wired for RS-232 and do not have conductors on pins 1 and 8... the two needed for RS-485 comms.

Optimally, I would like to find a prebuilt 8 pin cable with leads on one end that we can terminate with our own connector

Any help or hints would be appreciated. I have a strong desire to learn as much as possible about automation. I am grateful to have found this site.

Thanks so much!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Were you reading here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=627422 ???

Actually, after that discussion I took some pictures of the inside of a MicroLogix 1000 and 1400 while looking at the 8-pin ports. I had meant to post the pics up in the other discussion, but have been too busy and forgotten.

I was plugging the cables that I have from RS in and out at the time. The ports appear to be identical, but for some reason the ML1000 is a tighter fit?

Once plugged in it does work.

As Genius mentioned in that other thread, the standard dimpled plugs tend to be tight.

Dropbox Photos

Regards,
George

Drop Mark at Industrial Concepts an email and he should be able to hook you up with any cable you need or at least be able to answer any questions you have about cable types.

Here is a link for I.C.

http://www.plccable.com/

BCS

Thanks Sparky, I have been in touch with Mark.. his is an option

He has the 1761-CBL-HM02 Cable. I have to make sure all 8 pins are terminated and both ends are male.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Were you reading here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=627422 ???

Actually, after that discussion I took some pictures of the inside of a MicroLogix 1000 and 1400 while looking at the 8-pin ports. I had meant to post the pics up in the other discussion, but have been too busy and forgotten.

I was plugging the cables that I have from RS in and out at the time. The ports appear to be identical, but for some reason the ML1000 is a tighter fit?

Once plugged in it does work.

As Genius mentioned in that other thread, the standard dimpled plugs tend to be tight.

Dropbox Photos

Regards,
George

Thanks George... I will review the referenced thread

I can't believe how hard AB has made this

Just a thought if you dont find anything else, I know they make a round 8 pin to 9 pin sub D adapter. I have one but not in front of me, I can get it and see if there is a part number on it if you want.

I have been meaning to order a spare one of these myself.

You could plug this into your 8 pin socket and make what ever you want to come from the 9 pin sub D easy enough.

BCS

Last edited:
WELL....Scratch that Idea also.
Just went and grabbed my adapter and not all pins are connected on it either.

BUT... I did stumble accross something that might be worth you taking a look at to see if it will work for you.

Google "pin out for apple / mac printer cable 8 pin mini din"
If you use internet explorer hit the images tab and look at this cable, sure looks like the exact same as my AB mini din 8 connector.

Looks like you can get this cable in all kind of configurations but seems like most do have all 8 pins connected end to end.

Hack off one side and put on a Phoenix Contact Subcon 9 Sub D connector and away you go. (subcon 9/f-sh or subcon 9/m-sh)

Found a lot of these Mac cables on Ebay also.

Just a thought if you dont come up with anything else.

BCS

Scott Hill said:
...Pins 1 and 8 have no conductors and it won't carry the RS-485 Modbus

The cable I've demonstrated does work for Modbus between a ML1400 and a PowerFlex 4. All pins are populated, including the screen. So there are 9 wires available for you to terminate to your device. I've added a close up photo to the same collection I linked earlier. You can see the troublesome dimples on the plug, but it does plug in. There is nothing special about this cable. I'm sure there are many like it on the market. I just found this one from Radionics, whom we deal with a fair bit, and it worked.

The Radionics stock number is 463-518

Dropbox Photos

Regards,
George

As stated we did some looking and the 1761-CBL-AM00 or HM02 they both have all pins and will work

Scott Hill said:
Thanks Sparky, I have been in touch with Mark.. his is an option

He has the 1761-CBL-HM02 Cable. I have to make sure all 8 pins are terminated and both ends are male.

Scott are you the person looking for cable size? but anyway yes this should work

DwSoFt said:
http://www.theautomationstore.com/al...1761-cbl-pm02/

Used these guys a couple times now and I am Happy. I actually just ordered this exact cable last week.

DwSoFt said:
even the copycat ones not made by Allen bradley don't have those pins?

They are a re-seller of our products and their PM02 does not have all pins landed, we make them the same way that AB makes theirs

Bering C Sparky said:
Drop Mark at Industrial Concepts an email and he should be able to hook you up with any cable you need or at least be able to answer any questions you have about cable types.

Here is a link for I.C.

http://www.plccable.com/

BCS

Thanks for the plug 🍺