Red Lion to GE 90-30

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,
Got a new project coming up and one of the older pieces of equipment has a GE 90-30 311 PLC. I would like to connect that to the Red Lion G09 HMI.

I have been doing some research and it looks like the 15 pin connection is RS-485 Communication. Is that correct? If so then connecting it to the G09 485 port should be pretty straight forward. I know RL makes a cable for the communications so I am trying to get a quote for that now.

Next question: I have done some work with GE Versamax and the RX3i processors but never worked with the 90-30. Will my PME 9.5 work to upload the program from the processor? This unit is about 20 years old as far as I can tell. Just wondering if I will have to convert it from some older file source. Let me know your thoughts on that.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I think you'll have better luck if can convert the Logicmaster or VersaPro project file to PME first.
I just tried an experiment. I cleared the PLC memory using Logicmaster version 9.05. Then I created a new project with the hardware configuration and one rung of ladder logic, a NO contact addressed to %I001 driving a coil instruction addressed to %Q0033. The hardware configuration has a CPU363, two 16-point input modules and two 16-point output modules. I downloaded the logic and hardware configuration to the PLC with Logicmaster, got Logic Equal and PLC running.
I then went online with PME version 7.0. I was able to upload the hardware configuration and the memory values but not the ladder logic. When I tried to upload the ladder logic I got Error 8095 and Error 8509. The help files for those errors were unhelpful in either resolving or understanding the errors.
After uploading the hardware configuration PME still said configuration not equal although the list of modules matched what was present. After downloading the hardware configuration with PME the message reverted to configuration equal.

I am waiting for the original program but once I get it how do I convert it? Is there a convert utility in PME? I dont have Logicmaster or VersaPro.

Also correct. The name of the serial protocol is either SNP or SNPX. The latter is a stripped-down version optimized for HMI communications. The full SNP protocol supports program transfers which of course isn't needed for HMIs. If your CPU311 is really old, it won't support SNPX. Support for SNPX began at firmware version 4.40 in 1994. That corresponds to CPU311L.
Pin assignment for the RS485 port can be found in the manual GFK-0356.

I just got a picture of the panel. The PN of the PLC is IC693CPU311W. So will that unit have SNPX ?