Bad Rockwell Experience

Roy Matson

I have been running RSLogix Ver 16 and RSView Studio ME ver 4.0 for quite a while.
Recently I purchased a support agreement so that I could upgrade RSLogix 5000 to Ver 18

I loaded the new versions of RSLogix 17,18 & 19 this software seemed to start and run OK but it completely screwed up my RSView Studio, it would no longer open.
I did not upgrade this package.

Talking to support they told me I must upgrade the HMI software, I installed ver 5 which came with the support contract.

Then when I tried to open I get the message
VStudio does not appear to be registered

Much talking back & forth with support, un-installing, installing Rockwell software all to no avail.

Anyone had a similar issue?:mad:
Roy

Haven't seen this before but spitballing here....
What Operating System is your computer running? With RSView 4.0 I am guessing you must have been running Windows XP. It also sounds like you are installing the software on that same computer and not a new machine.

In all of this process have you re-imaged your computer or done any computer upgrades?

Have you run the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard?

OG

Sounds like it got hosed when you updated the .Net framework. I believe RSViewSE 4.0 requires .Net framework v2.0. All the newest software will need .Net framework v3.5. It could also be related to the Factory Talk Services version, if you updated this with your install, it could cause issues too.

By chance did you have a backup image of your PC? Might be easier to reload that then try to uninstall the software and wipe out all the registry entries. You'll need to lookup or have Rockwell get you the information to completely uninstall everything and re-install.

If you NEED to keep a version of RSView SE 4.0, I would suggest creating a virtual machine for that software. You can't mix and match older versions of Rockwell software with new versions w/o causing problems. S

EDIT: My comments apply to ME as well.

Last edited:
When I did an upgrade of RSView Studio from 4 to 5 I had problems that appeared to me to point to .Net frameworks I installed and uninstalled various versions to no avail untill I uninstalled all versions 1, 1.1, 2 and 3, then reinstalled all the versions in version order and it worked, then I repeated the proceedure on a second laptop and this also corrected its problem.

Its my considered opinion that ver 1.1 from an early install had something missing that the latest software was looking for.

Good Luck

I had a similar problem a year or so ago updating View ME to version 5.0 or whatever. After I was done it would crash when I tried to open a project. I spent hours on the line with tech support uninstalling, manually removing all know remnants from the registry then reinstalling with no luck. Eventually I installed it on a Virtual Machine by itself until I had time to reinstall XP. I’m sure glad we pay for the tech support contract….come to think of it’s usually a RS problem I call for ….can they be bill for my time? So now we are evaluating other Scada vendors because I don’t have a warm fuzzy on new installs or Upgrades from REView32 to View SE.
Cheers

Do you have your licenses in the default directory or a custom one. I've found that Rockwell likes control and doesn't like it when you try to deviate from what they want to do.

I have FTView ME 5.1 and it for some reason stopped grabbing my co-current license. I uninstalled the activation server and upgraded it to the most current version 3.30. This still wouldn't work and once I put my licenses in the default directory, everything worked great.

Activation support does not require a tech support contract. You have to be patient, as I got disconnected with the first bloke, then the 2nd one controlled my computer (their remote software doesn't like Opera) and sorted it out.

Rockwell

Well, sorry I didn't respond sooner, after last weeks experience the last thing on my mind was Rockwell software. I can tell you that was a frustrating experience. After 3 days talking with support someone finally told me the problem.
RSLogix 5000 and View Studio both share a common application FactoryTalk Services Platform, the problem is View v 5 and Logix v 19 need a different rev level so whatever I loaded last would screw it up for the other. It was solved by sending me a copy of view Studio Ver 6.
Thankyou all for the suggestions
Regards
Roy

Roy, that is why every single piece of Rockwell Software now lives in its very own VM. Thier corporate Cranial Rectal Inversion syndrome with having everything tie together with "FactoryTalk Services" makes it virtually impossible to make any two Rockwell products co-exist.

Then they release a new version, to fix the crippling bugs they introduce for the initial rev release (Never load ##.00.000 or ANYTHING Rockwell, wait till ##.02.000 at least), and that has yet another FTServices platform, which goes and breaks everything again.

Actually, you did not need to advance all the way to V6. there is a rollup available that Rockwell does not advertise. It was like pulling teeth to get them to work with me when I was going through similar upgrades. I also ran into the licensing issure and had to move where the license was and then everything worked for me after that.

David

Actually, you did not need to advance all the way to V6. there is a rollup available that Rockwell does not advertise. It was like pulling teeth to get them to work with me when I was going through similar upgrades. I also ran into the licensing issure and had to move where the license was and then everything worked for me after that.

David
I tried the roll up, it didn't work in my case.
Deleting the software was also an issue,Add/Remove programs doesn't do it. Finally someone sent me a secret technote 54692 that gives the manual uninstall method.

I have a funny Rockwell story
My wife and I were on a flight from New Zealand back to Canada, the entertainment system kept crashing. Finally the hostess came over the speaker and opologised saying "We are on the phone to Rockwell", my wife said, "I hope this plane is not Fly by wire"

This fixed it for me:
118645 - FactoryTalk View Studio software error "VStudio does not appear to be registered"

Access Level: Everyone
Date Created: 03/14/2011 01:39 PM
Date Last Updated: 04/12/2011 09:10 AM

The error "VStudio does not appear to be registered" occurs when starting FactoryTalk View Studio. How can I prevent this?

The shortcut is corrupted. Try the following corrective action:

1. Start FactoryTalk View Studio software from:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\
  2. Double-click on VStudio.exe.
If this works you can:

• Copy a shortcut of the VStudio.exe to your desktop to start the software there.
Or
  • You can fix the shortcut as described in the next topic.

I have had this problem when upgrading RSView Studio as well. Fortunately I got through to a guy at Rockwell who was very helpful.

Because the version I was using before the upgrade didn't use FactoryTalk but used the old activations that utilised EVMove, there was still a file on my laptop called EVRSI.something that was trying to activate the new version of RSView, but couldn't. I deleted that file and hey presto everything worked fine.

But we warned if you have any other activations that use this EVRSI file, I believe you will need to upgrade everything to a FactoryTalk activation, although I could be wrong.

Just my little 2 penneth worth :)

Mark

I have had this problem when upgrading RSView Studio as well. Fortunately I got through to a guy at Rockwell who was very helpful.

Because the version I was using before the upgrade didn't use FactoryTalk but used the old activations that utilised EVMove, there was still a file on my laptop called EVRSI.something that was trying to activate the new version of RSView, but couldn't. I deleted that file and hey presto everything worked fine.

But we warned if you have any other activations that use this EVRSI file, I believe you will need to upgrade everything to a FactoryTalk activation, although I could be wrong.

Just my little 2 penneth worth :)

Mark

What if the evrsi is used by other rockwell software.So deleting this will stop my other programs

I have had both EVRSI and FT activations working together at the same time. I also have been through the ringer with Factory Talk Services Platform issues, .net problems when trying to update FTView Studio. In my case, I had to get help from IT dept. They had a utility to scrub the registry and repair the .net installation that was blown up by the install programs for FT. It took a solid week for me to get everything working again, but I did not have to change anything with my activations (some are still EVRSI, and others FT).

I still have frequent problems running FTView Studio 5.1 so I try to avoid running it. We plan to migrate to get away from the PV+ as future projects and budgets permit.