Time to buy the AB software

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
We had gone from using the Moeller smart relays to the 10 point micrologix with the free software. We now must use a micrologix which will require RS Logix 500. I will be purchasing this along with the panelbuilder software for a micro view HMI that will be set up with the PLC.

I budgeted the starter software for around $500 and the panelbuilder for around $300. I am unsure if I should go for the full blown RS Logix. That would be twice as much. What would you do starting out? There is not enough money in the job so I would have to eat the extra money spent. How would you get the most for your money with legitimate AB software?

Thanks in advance for your input.

EDIT: I might as well throw it all on the table.
The system consist of 10 DI and 7 DO using 24VDC for inputs and isolated relay outputs. It will have a HMI to allow a operator to change values. The local AB rep recommended these components:
1761-L16BWA $246.40
9324RLO100ENE $499.00
2711-M3A18L1 $324.00
2711ND3 $295.00
2711CBLHMO5 $59.82

I must use AB on the PLC but I might be able to use a different HMI. Does anyone see any obvious ways to save money on this setup?

It was a tough year in 2003 and I sure would like to squeeze every exra penny out of this. Thanks in advance for any input on software / hardware.

Last edited:
This probably will not answer your question, but the MicroView does not use Panelbuilder software. It has it's own software that also programs the DTAM's.

Part # is: 2707-NP

93LT1, I added some part numbers and the whole hardware layout to my original post. Do the part numbers / software match up?

check with your local distributor first but it's usually possible to start out with the $500 RSLogix500 package first ... and then upgrade (for more money of course) when you need more horsepower ... in other words, you probably won't have to start over from scratch ...

Since you're a first-time user, your A-B distributor may be able to sell you a MicroLogix 1000 Starter Kit and a PanelView 300 Micro Starter Kit. Just like at the supermarket, it's "one per customer", but you can probably save 50%.

These are usually sold in conjunction with a training class, but often they're also used when a small customer or OEM wants to begin using A-B hardware, to reduce that big first step of buying the configuration software up front with the first controller.

Talk to you distributor about it.

details, details

The PanelView 300 Micro does use the PanelBuilder32 software, so that matches.

When using MicroLogix 1000, you don't have online editing in the first place, nor do you typically need online cross-referencing (the most important features of RSLogix 500 Standard). So the Starter version of the software is ideal for MicroLogix users.

Thanks for the replies.

Ken I am working on the info you provided. The only thing that concerns me is, what will I be lacking when we move up to a system with the SLC 500? I have allready been told that there is no upgade from the starter kit. When I need RS logix 500 Pro, It will cost full price.I may just have to live with it as the primary objective is to save money now, not later. Maybe I did not ask AB the right question or in the right way.

There are three versions of RSLogix 500: Starter, Standard, and Professional.

Most folks who use a lot of RSLogix 500 use the Standard version. Don't buy Professional unless you need a lot of networking software and are a really hardcore SLC user.

I was not aware of any restriction on upgrading the copy of RSLogix 500 Starter that comes with the Starter Kit. It's possible, but I haven't heard of it. There's certainly no upgrade discount for the free version of RSLogix 500.. maybe that was your dealer's confusion.

Usually it's just part number 9324-RL01U3ENE to get RSLogix 500 Standard upgrade from Starter. $700 is the upgrade price if you're in support.

If you want to look at the detail of features that are in Standard but not in Starter, have a peek at the product feature matrix on the RSI site:

http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/download/detail.cfm?ID=2605

Thanks Ken, I'll check it out. The only problem I have now is the AB rep says it will take two weeks before the starter kits can be shipped. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything!

Many moons ago I started out with the starter kit. It has, and still does work on the micrologix. I then had to buy panelbuilder 32 to program a PanelView.
The Starter version worked fine programing a SLC 5/02 fine also.
Of course I don't do any online editing.
Incidently I've also had good luck with Customer support.
I'd say go for the Starter Kit.