RSLogix 5000 bit stuck.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,
I wish everybody a happy 2013!

I have this issue. In one of our control panels we have a CompactLogix 1769-L32E and a Red Lion G310.
It seems that the bit associated with the NO momentary Start button for a motor is ON all the time. It's like it is stuck, so the motor wants to start all the time, the Stop button is useless. I think I've seen this before, but I was in the field and toggled the bit, and now I am not in the field.
Has anybody seen this before? Is there a "cure" for it? Maybe the problem is not the PLC but the HMI.

I will appreciate your comments!

Thank you.

Hello All,
I wish everybody a happy 2013!

I have this issue. In one of our control panels we have a CompactLogix 1769-L32E and a Red Lion G310.
It seems that the bit associated with the NO momentary Start button for a motor is ON all the time. It's like it is stuck, so the motor wants to start all the time, the Stop button is useless. I think I've seen this before, but I was in the field and toggled the bit, and now I am not in the field.
Has anybody seen this before? Is there a "cure" for it? Maybe the problem is not the PLC but the HMI.

I will appreciate your comments!

Thank you.

HMI buttons are notorious for "sticking" on. I always add a ONS after HMI pb just for this reason.

A Crimson guru can help you more with why the bit is sticking.

Normally, for an HMI, a momentary push button requires two writes. A 1 when you push the button, and a 0 when released. Have you tried to have them hit the start button again?

I had a similar issue with a G310 last year, I would have to push the button multiple times to get it to write, and then it wouldn't shutoff. Tech support recommended sending in the unit, so I asked if I could erase the memory, and re-flash the firmware. Held the top two buttons during power up, clear the memory, and re-downloaded it. This took care of the problem.

I've never had a problem other than this, with buttons sticking on.

I avoid momentary buttons for this reason. I always toggle to 1 with the HMI, the PLC toggles to 0. It's a good handshake.

Thank you for your comments!
I think it has something to do with the HMI, too. Let's see if a Crimson guru steps in.

Do you have a copy of the crimson file? Can you zip it and attach it and let us know what tag?
I don't think my boss will allow me to publish the whole HMI project, but I will be happy to post pictures of any windows you are interested in.

That's going to be a lot of pictures.

At a minimum we would need to see the button properties (all tabs) and also the tag properties (data and format tabs). If there is any program associated with the button and the tag we need to see that as well.

Are you using Crimson 3 or Crimson 2?

If you can't post that information then contact Redlion tech support and send them the Crimson DB - Redlion tech support is usually very helpful.

I don't know if this will help but I had this problem on a totally different HMI. I was trying to be fancy and signal the HMI to switch screens on an event, that of the button press. As it was a momentary the screen switched before the screen's logic could capture the release, so the bit stayed on.

There are two possible fixes. One, already noted, is to have the HMI button just turn ON the internal location and let the PLC logic turn it back off. The other is to respond to the release (turn OFF) of the button.

I avoid momentary buttons for this reason. I always toggle to 1 with the HMI, the PLC toggles to 0. It's a good handshake.

Only HMIs I have found where the momentary does not get stuck ON or OFF are the PV (PV+) and Magelis XBGT.

In PLC code I will now unlatch any momentary in PLC logic once momentary has achieved its task within the PLC program.

Is there a "cure" for it?
OSR and OSF instructions you logic can look for stuck buttons all the time. you could turn on internal bits and set timers to give you alarms when the buttons are stuck. This could prevent someone from getting hurt or prevent them blaming you for an allegedly stuck button. Thats the beauty of PLCs they do as their told (most of the time) and they don't talk back much. there are many ways around this problem just use your imagination!!

Hi all,
This is an old post, but I would like to compile a good set of solutions for this issue.
From the previous comments:
HMI buttons are notorious for "sticking" on. I always add a ONS after HMI push button just for this reason.
But if the HMI Push button is stuck, would this prevent the motor to start again?
I always toggle to 1 with the HMI, the PLC toggles to 0. It's a good handshake.
Could you show a sample code?
OSR and OSF instructions you logic can look for stuck buttons all the time. you could turn on internal bits and set timers to give you alarms when the buttons are stuck. This could prevent someone from getting hurt or prevent them blaming you for an allegedly stuck button.
Is this a fix or just an alarm?

It would be nice to finish this post with a good set of ideas, so everybody can use them as a reference in the future.

Thank you!