A/B PanelView 1000 problems

agarb

Our district Rockwell Sales Engineer has acknowledged that A/B is indeed searching for a problem with some new PanelView 1000's manufactured since Feb. of this year. He says that while a small percentage of units are affected, it is not large enough to issue a Product Service Advisory or Stop Shippment.

The symptom we observed is an error 60, displayed in multiple langugages. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=23339

Araon,

If it's just in the multiple langugages you could always do it the old fashion way and just have multiple screens and duplicate tags the way we had to do it in previous version 3.x, it's a pain but it may work

No, this is an internal panelview error -- one that we have no control over. It randomly appears (in multiple languages) and power must be cycled to recover from the error.

Sorry if this was not clear.

Aaron

Perhaps I was unclear about something else.

I have no question to be answered by members of this forum. The purpose of my starting this thread is as an FYI to others that may run across this same problem. Especially since A/B has been hesitant to officially acknowledge that it exists.

agarb said:
Perhaps I was unclear about something else.

I have no question to be answered by members of this forum. The purpose of my starting this thread is as an FYI to others that may run across this same problem. Especially since A/B has been hesitant to officially acknowledge that it exists.

Got that part...my point was, trying to find a work around...I have one on order.

geniusintraining said:
Got that part...my point was, trying to find a work around...I have one on order.

Sounds like if the problem was with a certain batch of PanelViews, you shouldn't do a workaround, but instead get another PV.

Here's My Error 60 Story (go figure)

I took a PanelView to my office for checking the screens as I designed them. I have a bunch of custom graphics and wanted to see how they looked.

I have gotten that "Error 60" message several times over the last two weeks. The only way to clear it is to cycle power. No keypad keys do anything, not even to get to the configuration screen. Here's exactly what the PanelView display looks like:

On a blue screen:

ERROR! FEHLER! ERREUR! ERRORE!

My PanelView particulars are:

Catalog # 2711K10C8
Series E
Revision B
FRN 4.46

When I boot up, the unit shows a date of "February 20, 2006" to the right of V4.46, the firmware revision level.

Today, I took this to the panel shop to play with it hooked to the PLC. The error never came up in the course of four hours.

This afternoon, I returned in my office with the PV to make a few changes from the comfort of my own desk. The PV is not hooked to any communication. No DH+. No RS232. Just 120VAC power. First thing after I plug it in, the "Error 60" message come up. I re-power and its working normally.

Go figure.

martyh said:
Sounds like if the problem was with a certain batch of PanelViews, you shouldn't do a workaround, but instead get another PV.

Yes, we installed a warranty replacement at the advice of A/B tech support. The problem still remained. Rockwell doesn't know how to fix their problem, yet.

ROHS woes

Latest update, 2nd-hand info from my boss, says that A/B made a change to comply with European ROHS regulations and this is the root cause of our error 60 problem. A/B has managed to find a rev C unit in their repair chain that they are sending to us to replace the new PanelView that has been plagued with the infamous error 60's.