Ab Rio

Hakutsuru

Hello everybody, I'm trying to setup a RIO network and I need help. This is one of those deals where all the equipment is in the field, installed, and I never got to put my grubby little paws on it ... and I'm expected to go out there and wave a magic wand and make it all work. I have done a RIO or two with AB before, but those memories are vague and kind of ominous. I think they have made it much simpler since then. So, without further ado, let me lay out what i got for yall. Then I'll tell you what i think i have figured out, and what i think i need help with, then yall can tear into me and get me going the right direction.

PLC is a SLC 5/04. There's one rack thats been running the station for years, so I need to go in like a ninja and add this RIO. That rack looks like this:
Slot:eek:ccupant
A : 5/04 (1747-L541C)
B : Empty
C : Empty
D : 8 pt DO (1746-OA8)
E : 16 Pt DO (1746-OA16)
F : 4 ch AO (1746-NO4I)
G : 4 ch AI (1746-NI4)
H : 8 ch AI (1746-NI8)
I : 4 ch AO (1746-NO4I)

I plan on putting my 1747-SN/B into that first empty slot. I'm planning on setting up my Remote rack like this.

A : 1747-ASB
B : 16 pt DI (1746-IA16)
C : 16 pt DI (1746-IA16)
D : 8 pt DO (1746-OA8)
E : 4 ch AI (1746-NI4)
F : 4 ch AO (1746-NO4I)
And the rest of the 10 slot rack is empty. Here are the dip switch settings I have decided to go with.
SW3 - on, on, on, off, off, on, on, on
SW2 - on, on, off, on, off, on, on, on
SW1 - on, on, on, on, on, on, on, on

As you can see, if you are fluent in dip switch settings, I opted for 1/2 slot addressing and discrete specialty IO mode. It is my most fervent hope that i can get away with directly addressing those analog cards with no Block transfers required. The book says it'll work. I think thats all i can tell you about my equipment, other than the fact that I'm using RSLogix v6, so now lets move on to what I think i know.

First, as i just said, i should be able to skip using block transfers. Second, I feel like i have a pretty good handle on the addressing. For instance, my first DI in the Remote rack will be address I:2.0/0. The first one on the second card will be I:2.2/0. The first DO will be O:2.4/0.

I'm not as sure about the analog addressing, but i think my AIs will be I:2.6 through I:2.9,. and my AOs will be O:2.6 through O:2.9. The other thing i cannot figure out is if/how to set up my remote rack in the IO config in RSLogix500. There is no option for an ASB module in the setup. That, combined with the fact that when i put the new rack and cards into the configuration, it generated an IO table for them as if they were part of a local rack, makes me think the program is supposed to be blind to those cards other than what it sees in the SN module. I cannot find any information about configuration for the RIO rack, not even anything to say it doesn't need to be done. Course, i'm sure I'm just not looking in the right manuals. I'm a little surprised I havent been able to find a manual just for setting up a RIO network. And finally, for now, Do I need to setup the G-data for the SN card? If so, how? The best i can tell, since I'm not using Block Transfers, that setup screen should be left blank.

I need to work my magic monday, so hopefully yall can get me straightened out friday, or over the weekend.

thanks,
-jeff

Last edited:
Get the 1747-SN User Manual as well as the 1747-ASB User Manual from the literature.rockwellautomation.com site.

1747-SN modules look to the SLC controller like big I/O cards with 32 words of Input and 32 words of Output data. Those 32 words correspond to four 8-word "Logical Racks" of RIO data.

In 1979, those would have been four 8-slot 1771-style PLC remote chassis. It's the amazing tweaking and cramming that A-B has done with the RIO protocol that makes it possible for these devices to actually be a lot of other stuff, represented as though it was a variation of the old PLC chassis. This is also the reason your 1747-ASB came with a little packet of aspirin in the box.

If it were me, and I had Series C controller operating system, I'd opt for the block transfers and leave the remote chassis in the simplest 1-slot mode.

But you say this controller has been in place for some time, so it likely doesn't support the "Easy Button" that was introduced for block transfers in OS401 Series C. So in we plunge to 1/2 slot addressing and discrete speciality transfer.

The 1747-SN data is all represented in the slot of the 1747-SN, and SLC slots start numbering at 1 after the CPU. If the 1747-SN goes into what you labeled "Slot B", the data will be addresses as I:1.word/ bit and O:1.word/bit

This statement indicates a series C processor to me. I vote with Ken Roach, use 1-slot addressing and block transfers for the Analog cards. 1/2-slot addressing confuses the most experienced of us (at least me anyway, I have to map out the addressing on a piece of paper, then six months down the road, when I go back, I have to map it out again), the first 4 slots will be one logical rack, the next 4, the second logical rack, the last two will be in logical rack 3.

Plus by using the 1/2 slot addressing method you are going to use a lot of your RIO capibilites.

Last edited:
I/O : Slot . Word / Bit

Chapter 3 of the 1747-ASB User Manual has really thorough explanations of 1/2, 1, and 2-slot addressing methods.

You have the basics right about the discrete data. Because each physical slot is assigned two 16-bit Words of Input and two 16-bit Words of output data, you end up "skipping" logical data words because you only have 16-bit modules.

I:1.0 First 1746-IA16
I:1.1 unused
I:1.2 Second 1746-IA16
I:1.3 unused
I:1.4 unused (the OW8 is in the corresponding O:1.4/0-7)
I:1.5 unused

Here's where it gets funky. The 1747-ASB can do something called "Slot Pairing", where two adjacent slots combine their Input and Output images. It determines whether or not this is necessary by detecting Module ID's. You don't configure this in RSLogix 500.

Read every word on pages 3-10 and 3-11 of the 1747-ASB User Manual. It's like poetry.

The 1746-NI4 Analog Input and the 1746-NO4I Analog Output module can use this "Slot Pairing" technique so that they use 4 words of Input and Output data, respectively.

I:1.6 1746-NI4 Ch. 0
I:1.7 1746-NI4 Ch. 1
I:1.8 1746-NI4 Ch. 2
I:1.9 1746-NI4 Ch. 3

O:1.6 1746-NO4I Ch. 0
O:1.7 1746-NO4I Ch. 1
O:1.8 1746-NO4I Ch. 2
O:1.9 1746-NO4I Ch. 3

The only possible hitch I see is that the examples of slot pairing always begin on odd slot numbers. The manual imples that it's only a matter of "the lesser slot has priority" but I don't know for sure because I've not seen it.

If you have trouble, move the NI4 and NO4I to the right by one slot. Alternatively, move them to the leftmost slots and put the IA16's and OW8 on the right.

If it means I don't have to get into the Hardware Series versus Operating System Series again, our boy can do whatever he wants.

Let's see... where was I... oh, yeah, G-files.

You do need to tell the 1747-SN in RSLogix 500 what devices are on the RIO link and how much address space to scan from each. The check boxes and drop-downs make it very simple.

Since this remote chassis is the only adapter on the RIO channel, address it to be Rack 00, starting at Group 00.

Because you are using ten "logical groups" of RIO address space, the G-file should have Rack 00 enabled as a Full Rack (that's eight groups) and Rack 01 enabled as a 1/4 Rack (that's the other two).

Because your remote chassis can actually hold nine I/O cards, it can represent a maximum of 18 "logical groups" of RIO address space. That's 8 + 8 + 2, so you can configure the 1747-SN's G-File to scan Rack 00 Full Rack, Rack 01 Fulll Rack, and Rack 02 1/4 Rack. That will make every slot in the remote chassis addressable in the future with no changes to the 1747-SN G-file configuration.

Yes, stewardess, I speak DIP-Switch

SW1-1 - on Begin addressing with Logical Rack 00
SW1-2 - on "
SW1-3 - on "
SW1-4 - on "
SW1-5 - on "
SW1-6 - on "
SW1-7 - on Begin addressing with Group 00
SW1-8 - on "

SW2-1 - on Baud Rate 57.6 kb/s
SW2-2 - on "
SW2-3 - off Complementary mode disabled (default)
SW2-4 - on Reserved, always on (default)
SW2-5 - off Adapter Image Size = 18 Groups *
SW2-6 - on
SW2-7 - on
SW2-8 - on
* you were ahead of me on this one !

SW3-1 - on Hold Last State on fault
SW3-2 - on Automatic Restart
SW3-3 - on Restricted Response Time (OK for 57.6 kb/s)
SW3-4 - off Last Chassis (correct for this application)
SW3-5 - off 1/2 Slot addressing
SW3-6 - on "
SW3-7 - on Speciality Modules in Discrete Mode
SW3-8 - on Keying Save Mode

It all looks good to me !

Minor clarification. I've gotta stop hitting the crack pipe while at work. I missed the DI in slot b. So slot C is my first available.

B : 16 pt DI (1746-IA16)
C : Empty
D : Empty
E : 8 pt DO (1746-OA8)
F : 16 Pt DO (1746-OA16)
G : 4 ch AO (1746-NO4I)
H : 4 ch AI (1746-NI4)
I : 8 ch AI (1746-NI8)
J : 4 ch AO (1746-NO4I)

That doesn't really affect the discussion much though, I've got a good enough handle on the addressing to be able to move things over a slot.

I don't know about being ahead of you, but rest assured, I have been reading the manuals for most of the week now. Pretty heavily for the past 2 days.

I'd set up the g-file for 2 full racks and a half rack, but I had forgotten that i only have 9 slots addressable in that 10 slot rack.

Do you really think Block transfers are better than direct addressing? I guess that kind of thing is a matter of preference. I had nightmares about the block transfers, but i've never had trouble understanding the different slot addressing. I mean, not until i had to use the pairing I'm going to need for the analog cards.

I agree about the analog cards needing to be moved over. It specifically says slot 1 is paired with 2, etc. So The pairings must begin with odd numbers. Of course, the way i was planning on installing it, I would have had a DO paired with the AI, so it would probably work just fine, but the addressing would be different. It looks cleaner if the analogs are paired together, though. So consider it done. So, my analog addresses will be I:2.8 - I:2.11 and O:2.8 - O:2.11

Last edited: