ABB ACS550 Earth Fault

Leukic

I just replaced this drive as the old one went out when the plant had a power surge/flicker.

1-Installed the drive
2-Powered up
3- Got an immediate EARTH FAULT, so I check the manual and it talks about wires being grounded.
4- Disconnected wires from the motor and ohm out the wires to ground( CHECKS GOOD)
5-So I ohmed out the motor and I was getting 40-50 ohms when tested to ground.

6-I have not powered up the drive with out the wires disconnected. I will try that next to confirm my thoughts that the motor windings are starting to go bad and current is leaking out.

Bad motor?

Yes. Less than 10kohms is failing. Some drives require much more than that to overcome a ground fault.
šŸ™ƒ
That should read 10 megohms. I have seen motors on starters work as low as 2 Mohm. I once replaced an obsolete 1336 VFD with a Toshiba G7 and it wouldn't run. The motor megger test showed 80 Megohms to ground... The 1336 was fine with it, the G7 said nope.