so Machine basic MSG3 function block

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
in SoMachine Basic v 1.5 What is use of the MSG3 function block? Is it simply to monitor the status of the ethernet communication? Is the MSG3.E bit report an error in the comm? The problem I am working with a program that uses this bit to report an error, but it does not turn on even when I have the ethernet cables disconnected between the two plcs communicating over Modbus TCP/IP.

Please adsvise on the proper use of this functio block. Thanks!

I think msg3 is just a name that was given to the block. Can you tell us the object type of the block

msg3 block is old messaging block for ethernet

yes, this is a messaging block for ethernet, but what does is do? Ethernet comm will work without it. Is it simply to monitor? Seems to refresh the communication every time the NO contact ahead of it becomes true.

I first learned about this block in one of the templates on somachine v.1. titled xSample_ModubsTCP_Wireless Push Button ReadStatus. This sample program uses this MSG3 block.

Any more advice would be helpful.

does any one have more suggestions?

Maybe this is a function rarely used or a better way to do it?

If you have only HMI or Scada connected to PLC you don't need msg block at all 99% of time.

MSG blocks are used for communication to other PLCs or field devices. MSG block is used on older twido controllers. M221 have different methods and blocks for communications but also MSG block is possible to use.
It is used communicate and check status of communication after querys are sended.
msg1 = port1, msg2 = port2 and msg3 = ethernet (port3)

http://www2.schneider-electric.com/... Modbus Communication_Quick Guide_File3.PDF

Last edited:
My program is communication between to plcs. This is actually a program I did not build so I was trying to figure out the details of it. Looks like %SW65 could be used to monitor the ethernet status.