Changing the PLC IP address from an HMI

kriskizlyk

Good day.

I have a Micrologix 1100 Ethernet PLC with a Panelview 800 terminal. We sell OEM equipment that are all usually cookie cutter systems. The biggest pain is that I have to manually changing the IP address of the PLC and the Terminal. I have always set them factory to 192.168.0.90 and .100. I have some sites with multiples of each and I have to manually go into 500 and change the PLC and the PV Componet HMI software to change the destination address. Its not difficult to do but cumbersome and time consuming for those who know how long it takes to compile and save a project in the PV terminal. My issue stands, if someone wants to change that IP address when they are on site...well remote access is not always available especially for an OEM system. I know I can change the IP Address from the front of the PLC, but it requires a password that I do not want to give out.

My goal, has anyone ever successfully changed the PLC IP and then PanelView target addresses from a selection box on a Running PV terminal? Can it be done?

For Reference:
PLC:
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/MicroLogix-1400

HMI:
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Graphic-Terminals/2711R-PanelView-800-Graphic-Terminals

I’m guessing that the lack of response on this is an indicator that what I thought was correct in that the answer is no. If you were connecting via Ethernet then it’s kind of obvious because you’d be changing the destination address that the PV would be using for its messaging but even if you were connecting via DF1 or DH I still can’t think of any way to change the IP address of the MicroLogix “on the fly”.