Fanuc robot with a Quickpanel HMI

I have done this and it works great. We currently have many Fanuc Robots and Red Lion G3 HMI's communicating via Ethernet. First you have to make sure you have the HMI Option on your Robot.

From the Arctool Manual:
This manual is meant to be a supplement reference manual to the HMI Device Setup
and Operations Manual. This manual details the addressing and setup of system
variables for the R-J3iB Controller.
The R-J3iB controller communicates with the HMI device by using the R-J3iB
Controller as a GE Fanuc Series 90 PLC. Various data of the R-J3iB corresponds to
the address of Series 90 PLC. The HMI device accesses this data by accessing the
corresponding PLC address. This communication uses the SNPX communication
Protocol.

2. Accessing I/O ports (%I, %Q, %M %AI, %AQ)
The R-J3iB DI[1] can be accessed from HMI device as %Q1. Therefore, the R-J3iB I/O
ports correspond to the PLC address as follows:
R-J3iB I/O port PLC address Example
Digital input DI[x] %Qx DI[1] ⇔ %Q1
Digital output DO[x] %Ix DO[1] ⇔ %I1
Robot input RI[x] %Q(5000+x) RI[1] ⇔ %Q5001
Robot output RO[x] %I(5000+x) RO[1] ⇔ %I5001
UOP input UI[x] %Q(6000+x) UI[1] ⇔ %Q6001
UOP output UO[x] %I(6000+x) UO[1] ⇔ %I6001
SOP input SI[x] %Q(7000+x) SI[0] ⇔ %Q7000
SOP output SO[x] %I(7000+x) SO[0] ⇔ %I7000
Weld input WI[x] %Q(8000+x) WI[1] ⇔ %Q8001
Weld output WO[x] %I(8000+x) WO[1] ⇔ %I8001
Wire stick input WSI[x] %Q(8400+x) WSI[1] ⇔ %Q8401
Wire stick output WSO[x] %I(8400+x) WSO[1] ⇔ %I84001
Group input GI[x] %AQx GI[1] ⇔ %AQ1

For the PLC Access Driver within GE Machine Edition software, I used the GE TCPIP under View Native Driver/ GE Intelligent Platforms.

I needed SNPX for additional functionality of the HMI such as displaying alarm history and reading registers and robot status.

Assignments to robot registers, position registers, current posisiton, alarm history, program execution status and​
system variables need to be set up through the system variable $SNPX_ASG

It seems in the fanuc controller, SNPX is not a physical interface but rather a software interface.

Hi friend....

I'm using GE's Proficy software and trying to read some internal registers of Fanuc RJ3iB .... via the GE TCPIP ethernet drive.
Please, could you please exemplify how I do this ....
** I checked and the Robot has the optional SNPX .... but...i don't know ...
** Why do I need the optional SNPx, if I'm going to use TCPIP?

** How is mapped the internal memory registers in RJ3ib ? That is, How the software Proficy sees these records ....

thank you so much

eagle_good

What does this have to do with the OP of comms between a robot and a QuickPanel?

Hi friend....

I'm using GE's Proficy software and trying to read some internal registers of Fanuc RJ3iB .... via the GE TCPIP ethernet drive.
Please, could you please exemplify how I do this ....
** I checked and the Robot has the optional SNPX .... but...i don't know ...
** Why do I need the optional SNPx, if I'm going to use TCPIP?

** How is mapped the internal memory registers in RJ3ib ? That is, How the software Proficy sees these records ....

thank you so much

eagle_good
Proficy Machine Edition software is typically used to write PLC/PAC programs and QuickPanel or PC based HMI programs. As such they work well with many communication protocols.
~ Which of these are you writing with PME?
~ GE SNPx and SNP are serial protocols
~ The default Ethernet protocol for GE products is GE SRTP, does your robot have it installed?
~ You may also verify if the robot has EGD or Modbus TCP/IP

Friend....

~ Which of these are you writing with PME?
R: PC based HMI

~ GE SNPx and SNP are serial protocols
R: Yes...but see this below of other poster...(previous posters)
I needed SNPX for additional functionality of the HMI such as displaying alarm history and reading registers and robot status.
Assignments to robot registers, position registers, current posisiton, alarm history, program execution status and system variables need to be set up through the system variable $SNPX_ASG, It seems in the fanuc controller, SNPX is not a physical interface but rather a software interface.

~ The default Ethernet protocol for GE products is GE SRTP, does your robot have it installed?
R: No,.... haven't it installed... however ... i am using GE TCPIP...

~ You may also verify if the robot has EGD or Modbus TCP/IP.
R: No .. I will not use this protocol, because I will use GE tcpip driver native.

Please... Reading the previous posters ,you will know about what we are talking ....

Eagle good

Last edited:
Without trying to speak for him, I believe Russ is trying to tell you that you should have started a new thread instead of posting to one that is five years old. I agree.
GE and Fanuc dissolved their partnership at the end of 2012. There never was a partnership between GE and Fanuc robots, but Fanuc robot controllers and Fanuc CNC controllers share a lot of common technology.
In post #16, jseavers gave the mapping of the robot memory to GE Series 90 addresses.

address register

Exactly Steve Bailey ..

The only thing I'm asking is the (offset) map of the memory map ..
Of RJ3ib conforme poster of 2012, of the jseavers.
What is the address of the register to accept them via software profice ?
since there is an offset

Our friend Robodude said that needs to use SNPX.
why ??

Sam eagle good

My knowledge of Fanuc robots is limited. I know they are yellow. I know they share a lot of technology with Fanuc CNCs. I know their manuals are hard to follow.
First you have to make sure you have the HMI Option on your Robot.
Does your robot have the HMI option?
In your Proficy View PC target, you will need to add the GETCPIP driver. By default it will be given the name "Device1". You can rename it if you want. When you create a variable in the View target you must define it as "PLC Access" and specify that it is to use Device1. When you do that you must enter a PLC address for the variable. GE Series 90 memory designations are %I for discrete inputs, %Q for discrete outputs. %M for discrete internal memory bits, %AI for analog inputs. %AQ for analog outputs and %R for 16-bit register memory. 32-bit variables will use two consecutive %R addresses.

OK...

Steve Bailey
I'm trying to say the following ...
To access the UOPs, SOPs Group G [] has an offset.
But it is not possible to place this offset in the address of the variable box, since the offset (5000) is huge and exceeds the value allowed by the proficy software in the link box of the variable.
These offsets are not possible in proficy software.
How can I access this map below with these offset.?
Would you have an example to share?
Could you check if these offset are correct?
* hugs...

adress offset rj3

Steve ... What’s up guy? How’s it goin’? ...
These below addresses are not supported by software Proficy Machine edition.
The offset is very high and the proficy address does not accept (and is limited to 2048).

Wire stick input WSI[x] %Q(8400+x) WSI[1] ⇔ %Q8401
Wire stick output WSO[x] %I(8400+x) WSO[1] ⇔ %I84001
Group input GI[x] %AQx GI[1] ⇔ %AQ1

but the digitais in/out really working....

what s software are you using?
hugs

Last edited:
Thank you for this. I am currently connecting a Schneider HMI to a Fanuc R-30iB over Ethernet, and I thought I was going to have to use flags for all the UOPs.
2. Accessing I/O ports (%I, %Q, %M %AI, %AQ)
The R-J3iB DI[1] can be accessed from HMI device as %Q1. Therefore, the R-J3iB I/O
ports correspond to the PLC address as follows:
R-J3iB I/O port PLC address Example
Digital input DI[x] %Qx DI[1] ⇔ %Q1
Digital output DO[x] %Ix DO[1] ⇔ %I1