Wonderare OPCLink w/ RSLinx OPC Server

phuz

I've given up on the FSGateway because it just doesn't want to create a connection (continuous errors in logger about OPCEnum), so I decided to try OPCLink. I configured it for the remote node with RSLinx Remote OPC Server and added my suitelink object to point at it. And, sure enough OPC Link shows a connection and RSLinx (on the remote end) shows the connection, too.

But, I can't get my items to parse properly. I've tried putting the OPC qualifier in front of the tag, but no dice.

107690 12/14/2017 10:18:11 AM 3892 5048 Info OPCLink Invalid item name: C5:7.ACC (IMPULSE)
107691 12/14/2017 10:18:11 AM 3892 5048 Info OPCLink Invalid item name: [IMPULSE]C5:0.ACC (IMPULSE)

Any ideas?

I don't understand the "OPC Path" either, so maybe that's part of it.

Capture.jpg Capture.PNG

Last edited:
You could try using the OPC Test Client (under RS-Linx->Tools) to connect to the data item in question. That tool will build the Item string that should be compatible with other OPC-compatible clients.

Assuming "IMPULSE" is the OPC topic defined on the local machine, the second address looks good. However, if it is defined remotely, and you are using RS-Linx Professional (or whatever they call it now), there may also need to be a node name preceding the topic along with "::".

You could try using the OPC Test Client (under RS-Linx->Tools) to connect to the data item in question. That tool will build the Item string that should be compatible with other OPC-compatible clients.

Assuming "IMPULSE" is the OPC topic defined on the local machine, the second address looks good. However, if it is defined remotely, and you are using RS-Linx Professional (or whatever they call it now), there may also need to be a node name preceding the topic along with "::".

OPC client sees the data fine, and the string is exactly what I thought it would be:
[IMPULSE]C5:0.ACC

Whether I put [IMPULSE] in the OPCLink for the "OPC Path" or not, I still get this:

109066 12/14/2017 11:13:18 AM 3892 5048 Info OPCLink Invalid item name: C5:0.ACC (RSLINXOPC)
109069 12/14/2017 11:13:18 AM 3892 5048 Info OPCLink Invalid item name: [IMPULSE]C5:0.ACC (RSLINXOPC)

Holy stars...just found the answer hidden in a forum post on here from 2011.

I would have never found this otherwise:

One of the big "gotcha's" with OPCLink (might want to investigate using FSGateway BTW) is you have to put a prefix in front of the Item in the tagname definition.

d - for discrete
i - for integer
r - for real
m - for message

So my config was right all along. Just had to modify the input string:

Me.IMP_A_Gallons.inputsource = "PLC5_IMPULSE.IMPULSE.iC5:7.ACC";