Panelbuilder32 Error 1091

Yes. I was able to download and extract the files you uploaded. I wasn't going to use a dll I downloaded off of the web unless I had to, though.

I do not have CCW installed.

I'll attach my whole setup so far, batch files and dlls.

The file named "DTL32.DLL_W540" is off of a Windows 7 64-bit machine that had RSLinx v3.9 on it.

The file named "DTL32.DLL_Win10" is off of a Windows 10 64-bit machine that had RSLinx v4.0 on it. I think that happened when I installed Studio 5000 v 30.

The last thing I did was run DTL32PB.bat and I have not switched back. All of these files need to be in the SysWOW64 folder.

I had to use two different zip files due to attachment size limitations.

Thanks again, lstavropoulos

Last edited:
I wanted to update this by saying that I still have not run into a case where it was necessary to use the dtl32.dll supplied with RSLinx 4.0+. I put in the dtl32.dll from the previous version of RSLinx and I have never looked back.

Confirmed, this works. I didn't have the option of reverting back to an older version - I'm on a new VM with all new software revisions. This note helped me out in a bind, thank you!

Works perfect. Thanks alot. I've been looking for any fix for this issue.

WORKS PERFECT. THANKS ALOT. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ANY FIX FOR THIS ISSUE.

Thank you for this solution.

reandy

OK, I finally found a breakthrough!

I had upgraded from CCW 10.01 to CCW 11.00, which forces RSLinx 4.00 to be installed (so installing RSLinx 3.90 or less is not an option for me). CCW = Connected Components Workbench, for those who don't know.

After scanning Process Explorer (from Windows Sysinternals) for a while, I found one file that turned out to be the issue - DTL32.dll

I used a copy of it from a very similar computer with an older version of RSLinx installed (I have multiple laptops setup with the same exact software, except for the one difference of upgrading CCW, thus an older version of RSLinx is installed - the exact version I failed to make note of). By renaming the existing dll file to DTL32.dll_NEW (since its the "newer" version) and replacing it with the old file, I was able to get PanelBuilder 32 (or more correctly, WinPFT) to load up RSLinx without error and upload/download to a Panel View.

I found that opening RSLinx, RSLogix5, RSlogix 500, and other AB programs access this same file, so I highly recommend putting the existing one back (the newer one) when doing anything else other than uploading and downloading programs from/to a PanelView to ensure that no bugs occur.

I am uploading the old DTL32.dll (named DTL32.dll_OLD) and a ReadMe. Hopefully anyone can use my copy of the old dll file. If not, you will have to get a copy of it before you install RSLinx 4.00 and keep it handy to perform this trick.

Some notes I want to share:
1. I upgraded RSLinx to 4.01, but it made no difference as far as the PanelBuilder issue that this thread refers to.

2. You can edit PBA/PVA file without any issue in all cases. The new version of DTL32.dll is only an issue when you try to upload/download from/to a PanelVew. WinPFT (the file transfer utility for PanelBuilder) tries to access DTL32 and parses some information that it doesn't like (throwing the error we all came here to read about). It claims that 4.00 is not later than 2.20 (I don't know what kind of math Rockwell used to come up with that nonsense - maybe too much of this -> 🍺).

3.PanelBuilder 32 is easily installed on Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit). However, I follow a very strict installation procedure, because programs like UltraWare and DriveExecutive can also be installed, but not after you install newer versions of RSLinx (like 3.4 and higher). I suspect that the newer versions of RSLinx do "bad things" that the program installation applications aren't made to deal with. I make sure to install an old version of RSLinx (I use 2.57), install PanelBuilder 32, install UltraWare, install Drive Executive, then RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500, and then all of the RSLogix 5000 versions (which versions 16 and up seem to be the most stable with Windows 7 - I can install 10-15, but they tend to crash).

4. I do not have to use any XP Mode or comapatability settings to run PanelBuilder32. It works right off the bat after installation.

5. You need administrator rights to modify files in the SysWOW64 folder. If you do not have them, it's game over.

6. I use Windows 7 Professional Edition x64.

Hi All
I'm having the same issue with PB32 (same version) and RSlinx V4.0 (needed for Asset Centre and other newer progs). I cannot see the RSLinx config under transfer type when i try to upload from any PV requiring a PIC or UIC. It works fine for direct Serial comms where RSLinx is not required and you can select "DF1 - Point to point - internal Com1", but if i need to use RSLinx then i'm stuck.
I have tried the work around lstavropoulos suggested but i suspect as i'm using Win7 32 bit its different, as i cannot find the folder he suggests. I have also ran sysinternals and cannot even see that DLL file being used by RSLinx or PB32.
lstavropoulos how did you narrow it down to that DLL? and I'm wondering if there is a different dll file i could swap out which would be the 32 bit equivalent work around?
Cheers

Worked for me

I used the file lstavropoulos provided and it worked great for me(Windows 10 pro 64-bit). Also no ill effects using RS500 or RS5000(without reverting back to original file) as of yet.

Thanks lstavropoulos as this saved me from reverting to an older version of RSlinx and thus not being able to use CCW.

kdog

So after further tests i have a Windows 10 x64 Rockwell laptop so installed PB32 on there and the fix worked fine, however i was unable to get it working on W7 32 bit. Possibly a different folder location but i tried replacing the .dll file in different locations i found on a search and no luck.
It appears this fix only works for x64, unless someone else has had some luck with an X86 machine? I could do with a fix for X86 ideally but at least i can support the hardware on site now with my laptop.

Hi JarJarBiscuits, sorry I haven't been keeping up with responses. You are correct, Win7 32 bit stores DTL32.dll in a different folder (Windows\System32). So, rather than accessing the SysWOW64 folder (non-existent on a 32 bit machine), navigate to the System32 folder. You will find it there. The file swap all remains the same.

cbanzet, I followed your lead and did the same thing. The old DTL32 is what I am using for almost a year now and all is good.

To everyone that managed to use this trick to get the software to work, I am very happy that it worked for you!

To answer your question JarJarBiscuits, I used Process Explorer (from Windows Sysinternals) to check every file and registry entry that RSLinx and WinPFT accessed/modified. It took a while (I set all sorts of result customization options to filter out the tremendous amount of data it displayed), but I finally stumbled on DTL32.dll and saw that its file date was newer. As such, I gave the file swap a gamble and got lucky.

Last edited:
OK, I finally found a breakthrough!

I had upgraded from CCW 10.01 to CCW 11.00, which forces RSLinx 4.00 to be installed (so installing RSLinx 3.90 or less is not an option for me). CCW = Connected Components Workbench, for those who don't know.

After scanning Process Explorer (from Windows Sysinternals) for a while, I found one file that turned out to be the issue - DTL32.dll

I used a copy of it from a very similar computer with an older version of RSLinx installed (I have multiple laptops setup with the same exact software, except for the one difference of upgrading CCW, thus an older version of RSLinx is installed - the exact version I failed to make note of). By renaming the existing dll file to DTL32.dll_NEW (since its the "newer" version) and replacing it with the old file, I was able to get PanelBuilder 32 (or more correctly, WinPFT) to load up RSLinx without error and upload/download to a Panel View.

I found that opening RSLinx, RSLogix5, RSlogix 500, and other AB programs access this same file, so I highly recommend putting the existing one back (the newer one) when doing anything else other than uploading and downloading programs from/to a PanelView to ensure that no bugs occur.

I am uploading the old DTL32.dll (named DTL32.dll_OLD) and a ReadMe. Hopefully anyone can use my copy of the old dll file. If not, you will have to get a copy of it before you install RSLinx 4.00 and keep it handy to perform this trick.

Some notes I want to share:
1. I upgraded RSLinx to 4.01, but it made no difference as far as the PanelBuilder issue that this thread refers to.

2. You can edit PBA/PVA file without any issue in all cases. The new version of DTL32.dll is only an issue when you try to upload/download from/to a PanelVew. WinPFT (the file transfer utility for PanelBuilder) tries to access DTL32 and parses some information that it doesn't like (throwing the error we all came here to read about). It claims that 4.00 is not later than 2.20 (I don't know what kind of math Rockwell used to come up with that nonsense - maybe too much of this -> 🍺).

3.PanelBuilder 32 is easily installed on Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit). However, I follow a very strict installation procedure, because programs like UltraWare and DriveExecutive can also be installed, but not after you install newer versions of RSLinx (like 3.4 and higher). I suspect that the newer versions of RSLinx do "bad things" that the program installation applications aren't made to deal with. I make sure to install an old version of RSLinx (I use 2.57), install PanelBuilder 32, install UltraWare, install Drive Executive, then RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500, and then all of the RSLogix 5000 versions (which versions 16 and up seem to be the most stable with Windows 7 - I can install 10-15, but they tend to crash).

4. I do not have to use any XP Mode or comapatability settings to run PanelBuilder32. It works right off the bat after installation.

5. You need administrator rights to modify files in the SysWOW64 folder. If you do not have them, it's game over.

6. I use Windows 7 Professional Edition x64.

I have had success using this file on new Windows 10 Machines running RSLogix 5000 10-20, Studio 5000 up to version 31, FTView Studio 10, Panelbuilder 3.83, RSLogix 500, and other AB software with no issues. All of my machines run Windows 10 Enterprise. I changed to the provided DLL file and havent experience any issues so i have not changed back to my original file. If i experience any issues i will update. The factory i work in runs alot of new and older Allen Bradley equipment. I tried to use an old DLL file from before RSLinx got updated past 3.90 but it would work for me so i had to stick to the provided file.

It works!

I know this is an old thread but it saved my life. I just wanted to thank you all for your effort and skill at solving this issue. I too was struck by this problem, Not 2 months ago I was happy go lucky uploading and downloading to my Panelview 300 using Panelbuilder 32. Monday I tried to connect and could not for the life of me get it to connect. Spent the last 2 days searching everywhere I could think for an answer. And I stumbled onto this thread. Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but the answer was here.

I swapped the DLL file and I was able to easily connect, upload and download to my hearts content.

Thanks again everybody!

Yeah, Buddy!

Hi gmarowski, the crazy thing is that this still applies. I remember having this issue and losing my mind over this. I, too, stumbled upon this thread while scouring the internet looking for an answer. In fact, this topic was why I created my account on this site!

I am very happy to see that you and others have been helped by this, as something so innocent and normal as updating software can break such a still-important tool.

One small update to my previous posts: I used Process Monitor, not Process Explorer (both from the systernals website) to monitor PanelBuilder’s activities. It took hours to sort through the surprisingly large amount of data that program showed me, but man was it worth it.