Twincat 3 with multiple programmers

jonfarrugia

Does anyone have any experience using TwinCat 3 and multiple programmers?
We have a job coming that would see two programmers working on one project. The layout of the project will be as follows, There will be one processor running two run times. Each programmer has a difference section of the machine and the will be in separate runtimes. There is one ethercat master connected to multiple servos and IO blocks. Each runtime will have dedicated IO, meaning we will not be reading or writing to each others physical IO.

I have done this before with TwinCat2 and it worked great. However, now TwinCat 3, physical IO is integrated into the same project there is no separate software.

The plan is for each programmer to get online and trouble shoot their own runtime without effecting the other programmers setup. I can understand that if a change is made to the Physical IO, it will effect both runtimes.

Does anyone have any experience on this or can provide a project layout that worked for multiple programmers?

Ditto. Develop as 2 different projects, launched from separate "Solutions" (*.sln) in Visual Studio. When finished, you can put both projects in the same solution for better documentation.

By the same token, you can keep both .net code (VB or C# project) and PLC code (TwinCAT project) in the same solution. That keeps it together, but can make things slightly more confusing. VS acts differently, depending on which project is highlighted in the "Solution Explorer" tree, and if one project is 32-bit and other 64-bit, it will keeps asking you to change one when you highlight it. Indeed, you can put any files you wish in a solution (text, help, ...). It seems the solution is simply a folder to keep everything together.

For those who need to have multiple developers working on the same source code (.net or TwinCAT), you can use the tools in Visual Studio (was "Source Safe"). I never used it.