Data Transfer from CSV File To S7-300 PLC via Ethernet

Rusty_K

Hello Hello!

Rusty here, looking for some advice from the experts! I have just started working on a project that will
require an S7-300 PLC to extract positional data, via an Ethernet connection, from a CSV file located on a PC.
This data will then be treated by the PLC and transferred,
again via Ethernet to an ABB robot.

I was just wondering what your suggestions would be regarding the architecture. I was thinking of running WinCC on the PC server (I believe they want some type of SCADA application running on it) with the Simatic Net OPC server in the background. I could write a C or VB script to treat the CSV file and transfer the data into tags linked to the PLC. I reckon I've got the PLC to Robot connection worked out thanks again to your expertise!
( http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=41068 )

So, wondering what you guys think. I'm open to all suggestions and/or criticisms. I'll be speaking to the project manager to get an idea of the costs / budget, wondering also what you reckon of the transfer speed with a system like this.

Cheers!

R.K.

Another question
Will the csv file only be read by the one application, you will have problems if the file is opened by someone else and then your application tries to also access it. Personally I would use an sql database (Mysql or MSsql) this will allow multiple users and access by standard sql queries.

Hey Jesper!

We are still working out the details but here's my take on it:

1) CSV file will be loaded onto PC daily (not sure how yet, possibly a mapped directory or something along those lines)

2) A "Load" button on a WinCC screen will activate the reading of the CSV file and transfer the data into a DB (with some type of UDT structure) on the PLC via an OPC connection.

3)The CSV file will contain some type of product code. When a new product enters the robotic cell an RFID reader will detect the product code and the PLC will match it to the corresponding positional data

4) The corresponding positional data will be transferred via CP343-1 Lean to the ABB robot (This was recommended to me in order to save programming time..I'm not sure what complications are added if I were to use the on board PN port)

Thats pretty much what I have worked out thus far!

Cheers!

Unfortunately, the customer is deciding how they wish to present the data to us. So far it looks as if they are locked on a CSV file. I agree, an SQL solution would be wicked!

Regarding the socket messaging, I have simply understood how it should work and set up the corresponding hardware config in Step7. We need to order the CP343 before I can test it with our in house robot. I'll let you know how it turns out!