how to cut cost on a cookie cutter program

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
M340 1000, ethernet car, 64 in, 64 out, 8 analog in.

Thinking about converting to the wago.

Thoughts, cigarettes?

Do what most pos oem’s do, tell Wago you build 1000’s a year.
Beat them down on price and have them convert your program for free

Is this the carwash program?

Although changing hardware may save money long term it's not cost saving as far as the program itself is concerned.

You can utilize defined function blocks and different languages as needed if possible to make it easier to build the program in the first place.

Is the ethernet card (NoE or Noc) necesary? Ethernet cpu will save cost but then you will loose some functions. Depends what you use the ethernet card for at the moment

I would recommend taking a look at the Schneider M241 and M251 line of PLCs instead. I previously worked at an integrator that used both Schneider and Wago. The Schneider was a lot less expensive. The Wago tends to include the cost of its bonus features which you may not need (SD card, integrated web page visualizations, etc.).

Both program in Codesys so you're at pretty much a wash there.

that's about a $4k USD PLC.

I had to look at the cost savings of using Automation Direct hardware instead of M340 and I found that we could save 25-40% if we used non isolated IO, which for our applications (power plants) I think is asking for trouble calls since there are so many different voltages, neutral currents, different power systems on the generation and transmission side, and analog sensors run hundreds of metres off the ground grid to measuring sites by the river where they are susceptible to potential differences due to transmission system faults and lightning.

So maybe you could use AD hardware and get down to $2500, but personally I like the unity software and the $1500 savings wouldn't be worth the hassle of 1) re-programming 2) working with crappier software and hardware going forwards.

Citect just doubled in cost so we bailed on that and are putting in the time to recreate the HMIs in Ignition.

that's about a $4k USD PLC.

I had to look at the cost savings of using Automation Direct hardware instead of M340 and I found that we could save 25-40% if we used non isolated IO, which for our applications (power plants) I think is asking for trouble calls since there are so many different voltages, neutral currents, different power systems on the generation and transmission side, and analog sensors run hundreds of metres off the ground grid to measuring sites by the river where they are susceptible to potential differences due to transmission system faults and lightning.

So maybe you could use AD hardware and get down to $2500, but personally I like the unity software and the $1500 savings wouldn't be worth the hassle of 1) re-programming 2) working with crappier software and hardware going forwards.

Like Garry posted above, AD comes in at $1446. That's a $2500 savings....

The software used for the BRX system Garry quoted is great to work with, in my opinion.