Windows 10 Rockwell Software

Psymon

Has anybody had any luck with Windows 10 and Rockwell Software? In particular RSLogix 5000. I can get RSLinx and FactoryTalk Studio to work, as well as RSLogix 5 and 500, but every time I start RSLogix 5000 it gives me an error message. It's not a big deal as I installed it on a virtual machine before I switched that over to my primary OS. Just wondering if anyone had any luck.

Thanks fellas
-Jay

Which RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 revision are you installing ?

I would not expect anything that wasn't Windows 7 compatible to work properly in Windows 10.

There are very less chances for its compatibility with windows 10.
From my experience windows XP was the best OS for using the industrial softwares for automation engineers.

I changed one desktop (my "toy" one) to Win10Pro & didn't have any issue with it, then after a few days of trying it out I changed my primary desktop to Win10Pro & immediately had a lot of problems - Factory Talk service wouldn't start - had to reinstall RSLogix5000 to repair that, had issues with a lot of software that the other desktop didn't - fortunately I backed up everything before I upgraded or I would have lost a lot of valuable information - all my email accounts & saved emails & contacts disappeared, my financial program wouldn't open, my video surveillance program wouldn't open. About the only program that didn't mind the upgrade was RSLinx.

Ended up reverting my primary system back to Win8.1Pro.

I am just about to try it after using Acronis to do a disk image in case!!! Can always go back then.

Ugh, Windows 8.1 is so horrible. I really like the "familiar" feel of Windows 10. Good news is I got it working by selecting to "Run as Administrator" even though it was the only account on the computer.

That's because of the way Windows works.
Even if you are administrator, it won't run programs as admin by default.
Have you tried making said user a Power user and then tried to run it as normal?

That being said, why would anyone switch to a newly released OS for critical systems? Wait for SP1 before migrating.

No I just had to run it as administrator once, now it works every time.

I just installed it on a virtual machine because, like it or not, if we request a new laptop it's going to come with Windows 10. Also, I don't think I can tell a customer who calls in for tech support who's only machine is Windows 10 that he needs to call back after SP1 is released. I may as well become familiar with it now.

No issues with Win 10 Technical Preview here, I've been running that about a year. That wasn't an in-place upgrade, but a clean install. I haven't yet tried an in-place upgrade, but I am planning to shortly (VM Clone of system).

Official compatibility for RSLogix 5000 under Windows Operating Systems...

Windows XP:
RSLogix 5000 v20 and older are all listed as "Compatible" with all Windows XP Operating Systems.

Windows 7:
RSLogix 5000 v19 and v20 are listed as "Compatible" with all of the Windows 7 Operating Systems.

RSLogix 5000 v16 - v18 are specifically listed as being "Not Compatible" with all of the Windows 7 Operating Systems.

RSLogix 5000 v15 and older are listed as "No known issues or dependencies" with Windows 7. These older versions were just not tested by RA under this OS, but users have had success with some of these versions installed under this OS.

Windows 8:
RSLogix 5000 v20, or older are all listed as "Not Compatible" with all of the Windows 8, or 8.1 Operating Systems. Again, this is not a hard and fast rule and users are using some of these versions under this OS with varying degrees of success and failure.

Windows 10:
RSLogix 5000 v6 - v14 and v17 - v20, are all listed has having "No known issues or dependencies" with the Windows 10 Operating System. This just means that those versions have not been officially tested by RA themselves under this OS and that they do not know of any specific issues as of yet. Whether RA plan to carry out such specific testing on the older versions, or not, I am not sure. Feedback from user performed "Technical Previews" and Support issues will, I'm sure in time, provide more information as to their compatibility with this OS. So the status of "No known issues or dependencies" with Windows 10, for some or all of these versions, could change in the future, for better, or worse.

RSLogix 5000 v15 and v16 are specifically listed as being "Not Compatible" with the Windows 10 Operating System.

If you are curious about the newer Studio 5000 v21 and up, then that is another matter...

Studio 5000 v21 and newer are listed as "Compatible" with...

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit

But Studio 5000 v21 and v23 are specifically listed as "Not Compatible" with all of the Windows 8 Operating Systems. So will these particular versions be officially "Compatible" with Windows 10, or not? Windows 10 is not listed against Studio 5000 for compatibility yet, so it's hard to say, but I would guess no for v21 and v23?

Studio 5000 v24 and v26 support all Windows 8 Operating Systems. So it is highly likely that these versions, and newer, will officially support the Windows 10 Operating System.

Regards,
George

P.S. It is, I'm sure, RA's intention for users to use older versions of software, which are only officially compatible with older operating systems, by means of virtual platforms.

I've spliced the attached screenshot together from the Product Compatibility website. It shows the older RSLogix 5000 versions from v16 and up...

RSLogix 5000 Windows Compatibility.jpg

Last edited:
I realize this is slightly off-topic. But I have not had any issues running Studio 5000 v21.13 - v26.12 or Factory Talk ME v8 (or the associated utilities such as RSLinx) on Windows 8.1 Pro.

Doing an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 works for everything I've tossed at it, Except (of course) for Rockwell Software.

I'd say go ahead, uninstall all the Rockwell stuff, do the upgrade, and re-install the Rockwell software. Once that is done, everything seems pretty normal with one odd exception: On none of my Windows 10 boxes, can I drill down in RSLinx to get to anything connected over DH+. (ENBT->DHRIO->PLC5 for example). I can drill down and browse ControlNet, even DeviceNet, but not DHRIO. This is with Linx 3.6.

As an aside, I put my programming software on an I5 Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10.. Works like a charm, and Sooooo much lighter than a laptop.

As an aside, I put my programming software on an I5 Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10.. Works like a charm, and Sooooo much lighter than a laptop.

I do this also but I am running VMware Workstaion 11 and I run my Rockwell VM's on it. Since work was paying I got the Mack Daddy version of the Surface Pro 3 with I7 Processor or 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD HD.

It's very handy to walk around our large machines with over WIFI and troubleshoot.