Making char empty in TIA Portal

userxyz

Weird problem:

Stringtest:= '';
No problem, this works.

Chartest:= '';
This does not work... while the default value of an empty char is ''...

'' allocation is string format for TIA...

How to make Chars empty without tricks like using '0' or something, we want really empty like the default value of a char...

Kind regards,
Combo

does 0, not '0' work? -> It doesn't.

Interestingly, the default for a char seems to be ' ', not ''... which is strange. Have you tried it?

Last edited:
default CHAR is a space. You can't just use '' with nothing between because it needs to always have a length of 1.

HOWEVER, there is an ASCII "null" character of value zero. This can either be entered as decimal or hex 0, or the escape character '$00'.

I've never messed with this before, so I'm not sure if there is unexpected behavior for this in some of the instructions. I know one that I was reading specifically said that it had no special behavior in case of $00, but to me that implies that other instructions might.

00$

Yeah well, you cannot assign 0.
But this works:

Chartest:= Byte_To_Char(0);

Indeed you get 00$

But we changed our program and when clearing an array of chars we do it like that. When counting a length in the chars array we changed the code to work with 00$

Thanks

default CHAR is a space. You can't just use '' with nothing between because it needs to always have a length of 1.

HOWEVER, there is an ASCII "null" character of value zero. This can either be entered as decimal or hex 0, or the escape character '$00'.

I've never messed with this before, so I'm not sure if there is unexpected behavior for this in some of the instructions. I know one that I was reading specifically said that it had no special behavior in case of $00, but to me that implies that other instructions might.